Orioles avoid sweep by outslugging RaysJun 10, 2013 - 12:24 AM St. Petersburg, FL (Sports Network) - J.J. Hardy and Adam Jones both finished with three hits and two RBI as the Baltimore Orioles outslugged the Tampa Bay Rays, 10-7, in the finale of a three-game set from Tropicana Field.
Nick Markakis and Alexi Casilla also drove in a pair of runs, while Manny Machado added an RBI and scored twice for the Orioles, who avoided a sweep thanks to a 16-hit attack.
"The American League East is tough," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said. "You've got to play nine innings, which our guys did. They kept adding on, or trying to, because it's hard in the major leagues. Things are going to happen."
Chris Tillman (6-2) tossed six innings and gave up three runs -- two earned -- on four hits with five strikeouts. Jim Johnson recorded the final out of the ninth for his 21st save.
Sam Fuld hit a two-run homer, Ben Zobrist added a solo shot and Jose Lobaton knocked in a run in the ninth for the Rays, who won the first two in the series by a combined 10-1 count and nearly rallied from a 9-1 deficit on Sunday before falling short.
Matt Moore (8-2) was tagged in defeat for 12 hits and nine runs -- all but one earned -- in five full frames.
"The 8-0 start is obviously gone," Moore said of his early domination. "It's something that, maybe, was a bit misleading. My record is more indicative of how our whole team is playing."
The Rays trailed by a 10-3 score with two more turns at the plate, but managed to make things interesting.
In the eighth, Jose Molina greeted Brian Matusz with a single and Fuld followed with a blast to right which made it 10-5. Matt Joyce followed with a single, and Evan Longoria added a two-out hit in front of Luke Scott's base hit that brought in Joyce for a four-run spread.
Fuld then reached on a fielder's choice in the ninth against Tommy Hunter and Joyce singled, bringing on Baltimore's closer Johnson. Lobaton delivered a pinch-hit RBI single to bring the hosts within 10-7, but Kelly Johnson popped out to end the contest.
Baltimore jumped on top in the first inning thanks to back-to-back one-out RBI doubles from Hardy and Jones.
Danny Valencia began the second with a double, went to third on a Steve Pearce hit and scored on a Casilla fly to right. Machado and Hardy followed with consecutive run-scoring doubles once again as the O's took a 5-0 edge.
Desmond Jennings plated Longoria with a dribbler near the mound in the home second, but the Orioles added three more in the top of the third courtesy of a two-run single by Casilla and a sac fly from Markakis.
Both clubs hit a solo shot in the fourth, with Jones doing it with one out in the top half and Zobrist leading off the bottom portion.
Zobrist walked with two down in the home sixth, went to second on a passed ball and scored on a Kelly Johnson single for a 9-3 game.
The Orioles hit double digits in the seventh, as Casilla singled with two down and came in on a Markakis double.
"Today we decided to come out aggressive and it worked," Hardy noted.
Sunday's victory marked the fifth time that Baltimore scored at least 10 runs this season ... Zobrist's homer was his first since May 1, while Fuld's was his first since May 27, 2011 against Cleveland ... Pearce finished 3-for-4 and scored two runs ... Both clubs are back in action on Tuesday, as Baltimore kicks off a seven-game homestand with a matchup against the Angels and Tampa Bay welcomes Boston.
- BALTIMORE: 10
TAMPA BAY: 7
Jun 9 5:01 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Jose Lobaton singled to center scoring Sam Fuld. On the play, Matt Joyce advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Kelly Johnson due up.
Orioles 10, Rays 7 Bot 9, 2 OutsJun 9 4:58 PM
- Luke Scott singled to right scoring Matt Joyce. On the play, Evan Longoria advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Desmond Jennings due up.
Orioles 10, Rays 6 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 9 4:31 PM
- Sam Fuld none-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right scored Jose Molina. Matt Joyce due up.
Orioles 10, Rays 5 Bot 8, 0 OutsJun 9 4:20 PM
- Nick Markakis doubled to center scoring Alexi Casilla. Runner on second with two outs and Manny Machado due up.
Orioles 10, Rays 3 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 9 3:59 PM
- Kelly Johnson singled to right center scoring Ben Zobrist. Runner on first with two outs and Evan Longoria due up.
Orioles 9, Rays 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 9 3:44 PM
- Ben Zobrist lead-off Home Run (4) to right. Kelly Johnson due up.
Orioles 9, Rays 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsJun 9 3:00 PM
- Adam Jones one-out, solo Home Run (12) to left center. Chris Davis due up.
Orioles 9, Rays 1 Top 4, 1 OutJun 9 2:51 PM
- Nick Markakis sacrifice fly out to right scored Steve Pearce. On the play, Alexi Casilla advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Manny Machado due up.
Orioles 8, Rays 1 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 9 2:43 PM
- Alexi Casilla singled to left scoring Matt Wieters and Danny Valencia, advances to second on Jose Molina's error. On the play, Steve Pearce advances to third on Jose Molina's error Danny Valencia scored on Jose Molina's error. Runners on second and third with one out and Nick Markakis due up.
Orioles 7, Rays 1 Top 3, 1 OutJun 9 2:43 PM
- Desmond Jennings singled to pitcher scoring Evan Longoria. Runner on first with one out and Ryan Roberts due up.
Orioles 5, Rays 1 Bot 2, 1 OutJun 9 2:25 PM
- J.J. Hardy doubled to center scoring Manny Machado. Runner on second with two outs and Adam Jones due up.
Orioles 5, Rays 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 9 2:13 PM
- Manny Machado doubled to right scoring Steve Pearce. Runner on second with two outs and J.J. Hardy due up.
Orioles 4, Rays 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 9 2:10 PM
- Alexi Casilla sacrifice fly out to right scored Danny Valencia. Runner on first with one out and Nick Markakis due up.
Orioles 3, Rays 0 Top 2, 1 OutJun 9 2:07 PM
- Adam Jones doubled to left center scoring J.J. Hardy. Runner on second with one out and Chris Davis due up.
Orioles 2, Rays 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 9 1:48 PM
- J.J. Hardy doubled to center scoring Manny Machado. Runner on second with one out and Adam Jones due up.
Orioles 1, Rays 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 9 1:47 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 9 1:42 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21