Orioles hold off AngelsJun 11, 2013 - 6:09 AM Baltimore, MD (Sports Network) - Adam Jones hit a two-run home run to lead the Baltimore Orioles in a 4-3 win over the LA Angels of Anaheim to open a three- game set.
Jones drove in three while Nate McLouth, Manny Machado and Nick Markakis each scored a run for the Orioles, who have won their past two. Freddy Garcia (3-3) gave up just two runs on six hits over six innings to get the win.
Josh Hamilton hit a solo home run and drove in two while Mike Trout also hit a solo homer for the Angels, who have lost eight of their last 10. Jered Weaver (1-2) gave up four runs on six hits over 5 2/3 innings to take the loss.
The game stayed scoreless until the third when Trout turned on a pitch with one out and drove it over the wall in right for a 1-0 lead.
In the fourth, the Orioles surged ahead as Markakis walked with one out and Jones followed by ripping an 0-1 pitch over the wall in left for his 13th home run and a 2-1 lead.
"He was way out in front of the first changeup I threw him and I tried to throw another one there down and away and it just kind of popped out of my hand and stayed middle in," Weaver said of Jones' homer. "With a hitter like that you can't make too many mistakes."
Hamilton led off the sixth with his ninth home run on the season, a blast into the right field stands.
With the rain coming down steadily, the Orioles went ahead in the bottom of the sixth. McLouth laid down a bunt single to start the frame and quickly stole second. Machado then punched a single to right field that saw Hamilton misplay the ball, allowing McLouth to score. Markakis followed with a single to put runners on the corners and Jones made it a 4-2 game with a sacrifice fly.
"He was really good tonight," Jones said of Weaver. "For us to fight and get two runs off of Weaver in that situation is very important, especially with what happened with the rain."
After Chris Davis hit into a fielder's choice that saw Markakis forced out at second, the game went into a rain delay that lasted for a little over two hours.
Matt Wieters singled to keep the inning alive, but J.J. Hardy hit into a fielder's choice to end the frame.
The Angels loaded the bases with one out in the seventh and Hamilton hit a grounder to first. Davis went to second with the ball, but Trout beat the throw and everyone was safe, with Chris Iannetta scoring to make it a 4-3 game. Tommy Hunter, though, kept the lead by striking out Albert Pujols and getting Mark Trumbo to groundout and end the frame.
Darren O'Day worked around a two-out single in the eighth and Jim Johnson threw a 1-2-3 ninth to pick up his 22nd save of the season.
Garcia improved to 17-3 in 30 starts against the Angels ... Before the game, the Angels reinstated outfielder Peter Bourjos from the 15-day disabled list and designated infielder Chris Nelson for assignment ... Baltimore has won four of the five games against the Angels this season ... The Angels went 0- for-6 with runners in scoring position and left eight men on base ... Weaver fell to 6-4 in 10 career starts against the Orioles.
- LOS ANGELES: 3
Jun 10 11:48 PM
- Josh Hamilton's fielder's choice to first scored Chris Iannetta. On the play, Mike Trout advances to second and Peter Bourjos advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Albert Pujols due up.
Angels 3, Orioles 4 Top 7, 1 OutJun 10 11:16 PM
- Adam Jones sacrifice fly to right scored Manny Machado. Runner on first with one out and Chris Davis due up.
Angels 2, Orioles 4 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 10 8:46 PM
- Manny Machado singled to right. On the play, Machado advanced to second Josh Hamilton's fielding error which scored Nate McLouth.. Runner on second with none out and Nick Markakis due up.
Angels 2, Orioles 3 Bot 6, 0 OutsJun 10 8:44 PM
- Josh Hamilton lead-off Home Run (9) to right. Albert Pujols is due up.
Angels 2, Orioles 2 Top 6, 0 OutsJun 10 8:27 PM
- Adam Jones one-out, two-run Home Run (13) to left scored Nick Markakis. Chris Davis is due up.
Angels 1, Orioles 2 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 10 8:05 PM
- Mike Trout one-out, solo Home Run (11) to right. Josh Hamilton is due up.
Angels 1, Orioles 0 Top 3, 1 OutJun 10 7:40 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 10 7:10 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Orioles power past Angels 9-4 on 4 homers May 21
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 21
- Angels starter Santiago ejected for gesturing to umpire May 20
- Tim Lincecum signs $2.5 million, 1-year deal with Angels May 20