Angels' bats break out to take finale with O'sJun 12, 2013 - 10:50 PM Baltimore, MD (Sports Network) - Erick Aybar hit a three-run triple and Albert Pujols smacked a two-run homer as part of a six-run seventh inning that helped the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim salvage a 9-5 victory over the Baltimore Orioles in the finale of a three-game set at Camden Yards.
Hank Conger hit a solo homer, while Josh Hamilton and Howie Kendrick each drove in one run for the Angels, who put an end to a four-game losing skid.
"Definitely makes the road trip a lot better," Conger said. "We had a rough series and for us to try to end on a win right there, go back home and face the Yankees, that's going to be big for us."
Jerome Williams (5-2) allowed four runs on nine hits over six frames and struck out four in the victory.
Pedro Strop (0-3) took the hill in the seventh with runners on first and second and the Orioles holding a 4-2 lead, but took the loss after allowing four runs on three hits and recording just one out. Starter Jason Hammel avoided dropping his third straight start, but allowed four runs on seven hits over six-plus frames.
Chris Davis and Adam Jones both had solo homers and drove in two runs for the Orioles, who had won three straight.
Hammel had pitched well over his first six innings, but showed signs of fatigue after allowing a single to Alberto Callaspo and a walk to Brad Hawpe to begin the seventh. Strop took the hill, but things got worse in a hurry.
Conger reached on an infield single off of Strop's glove to load the bases and Aybar followed with a three-run triple into the right-center gap -- his first of the season -- to turn the deficit into a 6-4 Los Angeles advantage.
"They put together some good at-bats," Orioles outfielder Nate McLouth said. "That was a tough inning for us. We won the series, though. Got Boston coming in so we will worry about them now."
With one down, Strop walked J.B. Shuck. The next batter, Pujols, crushed the reliever's 0-2 offering over the left-field wall for a 8-4 Angels' lead.
Davis plated Jones in the eighth on a groundout to first to make it 8-5. Jones reached third to lead off the frame due to Hamilton's fielding error in left.
Hamilton added a sacrifice fly in the ninth to account for the final margin.
The Orioles jumped on the board in the first by plating two runs after Nate McLouth and Manny Machado opened up the inning with a single and a double, respectively. Nick Markakis and Jones followed with RBI groundouts to make it 2-0.
Conger helped the Angels find the board in the third after he launched Hammel's 2-0 offering to right. Kendrick tied the game at 2-2 in the fourth with an RBI double that followed Hamilton's one-out single.
Williams' only other mistakes came versus Davis and Jones, who both smacked leadoff solo shots in the fourth and sixth innings, respectively, to put the O's ahead 4-2.
It was Williams' first appearance at Camden Yards since June 13, 2004, while he was with San Francisco ... Baltimore had won eight of nine at home ... Markakis went 1-for-4 and has a 15-game home hitting streak ... The Orioles went 0-for-7 with runners in scoring position ... Davis leads the majors with 21 homers this season.
- LOS ANGELES: 9
Jun 12 3:51 PM
- Josh Hamilton sacrifice fly to right scored Mark Trumbo with two out. On the play, Brendan Harris advances to third. Runner on third and Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 9, Orioles 5 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 12 3:39 PM
- Chris Davis grounded out to first scoring Adam Jones with one out. None on and J.J. Hardy due up.
Angels 8, Orioles 5 Bot 8, 1 OutJun 12 3:23 PM
- Albert Pujols one-out, two-run Home Run (11) to left center scored J.B. Shuck. Josh Hamilton due up.
Angels 8, Orioles 4 Top 7, 1 OutJun 12 2:53 PM
- Erick Aybar tripled to center scoring Alberto Callaspo, Brad Hawpe and Hank Conger with none out. On the play, Erick Aybar scored on Ryan Flaherty's throwing error with none out. None on and Mike Trout due up.
Angels 6, Orioles 4 Top 7, 0 OutsJun 12 2:46 PM
- Adam Jones lead-off Home Run (14) to left. Chris Davis due up.
Angels 2, Orioles 4 Bot 6, 0 OutsJun 12 2:21 PM
- Chris Davis lead-off Home Run (21) to center. J.J. Hardy due up.
Angels 2, Orioles 3 Bot 4, 0 OutsJun 12 1:47 PM
- Howie Kendrick doubled to right scoring Josh Hamilton with two out. Runner on second and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Angels 2, Orioles 2 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 12 1:44 PM
- Hank Conger one-out, solo Home Run (4) to right. Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 1, Orioles 2 Top 3, 1 OutJun 12 1:15 PM
- Adam Jones grounded out short to first scoring Manny Machado with two out. None on and Chris Davis due up.
Angels 0, Orioles 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 12 12:55 PM
- Nick Markakis grounded out first to pitcher scoring Nate McLouth with one out. On the play, Manny Machado advances to third. Runner on third and Adam Jones due up.
Angels 0, Orioles 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 12 12:53 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 12 12:38 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Orioles power past Angels 9-4 on 4 homers May 21
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 21
- Angels starter Santiago ejected for gesturing to umpire May 20
- Tim Lincecum signs $2.5 million, 1-year deal with Angels May 20