Moss hits A's over YanksJun 13, 2013 - 7:24 AM Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - Brandon Moss stroked a pair of home runs and finished with three RBI to back a solid start from Dan Straily, as the Oakland Athletics downed the New York Yankees, 5-2, Wednesday in the middle test of a three-game series.
John Jaso knocked in a pair of runs to provide more than enough support for Straily (4-2), who held the Yankees to two runs on three hits and a walk over 6 2/3 innings.
"He's really rewarding us," A's manager Bob Melvin said of Straily. "He's pitching with a lot of confidence right now. He's been terrific."
Grant Balfour stranded runners on first and second in the ninth to secure his 17th save and the A's 10th straight home victory.
The win also vaulted Oakland into the top spot in the AL West after the Texas Rangers fell to the Cleveland Indians earlier on Wednesday.
Jayson Nix and Mark Teixeira each registered an RBI for the Yankees, who managed just three hits in falling for the third time in five games.
New York starter Phil Hughes (3-5) was tagged for all three runs on four hits and five walks over 4 1/3 frames.
"It's a bad feeling," Hughes said. "I didn't have good command of the slider, changeup, really anything."
Moss got the A's on the board in the second when he followed Josh Reddick's leadoff single with a towering fly ball over the wall in right field.
Oakland tacked on a run in the fifth when Eric Sogard worked a leadoff walk, stole second, and scored two batters later on Jaso's double to right.
New York cut into the lead in the sixth, as Brett Gardner walked with one out, moved to third on Robinson Cano's single and scored on Teixeira's sacrifice fly to right.
The Yankees then pulled within one in the seventh after Kevin Youkilis was hit by a pitch with one out. Youkilis moved to second on a wild pitch and advanced to third on Ichiro Suzuki's groundout.
Nix then laced a single to left to score Youkilis and bring the visitors within 3-2.
Oakland added a pair of insurance runs in the eighth, starting with Moss' leadoff blast to center field.
Sogard singled with one out and stole second two batters later before scoring on Jaso's single to right to make it 5-2.
Balfour retired the first two hitters in the ninth, but walked Youkilis before Suzuki singled to left to put two men on.
Balfour bounced back by getting Nix to tap one back to the mound to end the game.
Oakland went 2-for-11 with runners in scoring position and left 10 runners on base ... New York finished 1-for-4 with RISP and stranded six baserunners ... Each of Moss' last five hits have been home runs.
- NEW YORK: 2
Jun 13 1:15 AM
- John Jaso single to right scored Eric Sogard with two out. Runner on first and Seth Smith due up.
Yankees 2, Athletics 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 13 12:53 AM
- Brandon Moss lead off Home Run 2 (11) to center. Chris Young due up.
Yankees 2, Athletics 4 Bot 8, 0 OutsJun 13 12:47 AM
- Jayson Nix single to left scored Kevin Youkilis with two out. Runner on first and Austin Romine due up.
Yankees 2, Athletics 3 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 13 12:09 AM
- Mark Teixeira sacrifice fly out to right scored Brett Gardner with two out. Runner on first and Travis Hafner due up.
Yankees 1, Athletics 3 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 12 11:43 PM
- John Jaso double to right scored Eric Sogard with one out. Runner on second and Seth Smith due up.
Yankees 0, Athletics 3 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 12 11:27 PM
- Brandon Moss none-out, two-run Home Run (10) to right scored Josh Reddick. Chris Young due up.
Yankees 0, Athletics 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsJun 12 10:38 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 12 10:08 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21
- Tanaka helps Yankees beat A's for 4th straight win May 21