Tigers blank TwinsJun 15, 2013 - 6:29 AM Minneapolis, MN (Sports Network) - Rick Porcello tossed seven strong innings and Prince Fielder hit a two-run double to help the Detroit Tigers take a 4-0 win over the Minnesota Twins in the opener of a three-game set.
Porcello (4-3) gave up just three hits without a walk while striking out five to pick up his second straight win for the Tigers, who have won six of eight. Victor Martinez and Jhonny Peralta each hit an RBI double in the win.
Scott Diamond (4-6) dropped his second straight start after giving up four runs on five hits and a pair of walks over 5 2/3 innings for the Twins, who have lost four of six.
Detroit didn't get a runner past second until the sixth inning when it went ahead with four runs.
Austin Jackson walked with one out and, after Torii Hunter grounded out, Miguel Cabrera was issued an intentional walk. Fielder doubled home both runners and scored when Martinez followed with a double. Peralta then hit a two-bagger for a 4-0 lead.
"Prince Fielder has done a very good job of coming through in those situations," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said.
Porcello only allowed two batters to reach second base in his outing, the last time occuring on a ground-rule double from Oswaldo Arcia with one out in the fifth. He then retired the next two batters and set the Twins down in order in the sixth and seventh innings before stepping off the mound.
Drew Smyly took the hill in the eighth and allowed a one-out walk to Clete Thomas before Brian Dozier was allowed to take first base after a catcher's interference call.
Detroit then called upon Joaquin Benoit and he put out the fire as he struck out Pedro Florimon and got Chris Parmelee to ground out to end the frame.
Jose Valverde came on the mound to close things out in the ninth and walked Joe Mauer to start the frame, but then got Ryan Doumit to hit into a 6-4-3 double play. Valverde hit Josh Willingham with a pitch to keep the game going, but got Justin Morneau to look at strike three and end the game.
"It was a tough night," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said. "We didn't do much offensively. Porcello was tough.Diamond matched him for a long time there, but then walked a guy in the sixth and got us in that awful situation where he had to walk a guy and didn't work out too well with three doubles in a row."
Former closer Eddie Guardado and former director of public relations Tom Mee were officially inducted into the Twins' Hall of Fame in a pregame ceremony ... Detroit recalled Jackson from Triple-A Toledo prior to the game and optioned outfielder Avisail Garcia to Toledo ... Detroit has won seven of the 11 games against Minnesota this season.
- DETROIT: 4
Jun 14 11:33 PM
- Jhonny Peralta doubled to left scored Victor Martinez with two outs. Runner on second and Matt Tuiasosopo due up.
Tigers 4, Twins 0 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 14 10:23 PM
- Victor Martinez doubled to center scored Prince Fielder with two outs. Runner on second and Jhonny Peralta due up.
Tigers 3, Twins 0 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 14 10:22 PM
- Prince Fielder doubled to right scored Austin Jackson and Miguel Cabrera with two outs. Runner on second and Victor Martinez due up.
Tigers 2, Twins 0 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 14 10:21 PM
- DETROIT: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 14 8:42 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22