Mariners end Athletics' home win streakJun 15, 2013 - 7:29 AM Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - Joe Saunders spun seven strong innings to guide the Seattle Mariners past the Oakland Athletics, 3-2, in the opener of a three-game set at The Coliseum.
Saunders (5-6) was touched for just one run on five hits and struck out four to earn his second win in three starts.
Mike Zunino hit a solo homer and Raul Ibanez had two hits and an RBI for the Mariners, winners in three of their last four games.
Oliver Perez stranded a runner in the ninth to nail down the first save of his career.
Chris Young went 3-for-3 with a solo homer and Eric Sogard added an RBI for the Athletics, who had an 11-game home winning streak snapped.
Tommy Milone (6-6) was charged with two runs on five hits over 6 2/3 innings to absorb his first loss since falling to Seattle on May 12.
Seattle took a 1-0 lead in the second inning. Michael Morse opened frame with a double and moved to third on an Ibanez base hit. Zunino then grounded into a 6-4-3 double play, but Morse was able to score on the play.
Oakland looked to knot things up in the home half. With a runner on second, Derek Norris ripped a single to center field. Nate Freiman had stopped at third base, but after Michael Saunders bobbled the ball in center, broke for home. Saunders was able to recover, though, and delivered a strike to catch Freiman at the plate.
The A's tied the game in the fifth inning on Sogard's double. With two outs, Sogard popped up to shallow right field. M's second baseman Nick Franklin ran back to field the ball, but collided with right fielder Jason Bay and the ball skipped away allowing Adam Rosales to score from first base.
Zunino clobbered his first career homer in the seventh inning to put Seattle in front for good. Milone left a changeup over the heart of the plate and Zunino drove it over the wall in center field.
"That ball went a long way," Seattle manager Eric Wedge said. "It went up in the air different, so you knew it had a chance to end different, and that's what happened."
With runners on the corners in the eighth inning, Ibanez roped a line drive down the first base line. Freiman made a diving attempt at the ball, but couldn't field it cleanly, and Franklin crossed the plate to give Seattle an insurance run it would need.
Young led off the bottom of the eighth with a towering homer into the second deck in left field.
"I felt good today," said Young. "No matter where I'm at in the lineup, I'm trying to produce and make the necessary adjustments to have some success. That definitely sparked me up a little bit."
Josh Reddick laced a two-out single to right field in the ninth inning, but Perez got Rosales to fly out to right to end the game.
The Mariners' starting pitchers have recorded a quality start is each of their last seven games ... Seattle was just 2-for-11 with runners in scoring position ... Oakland's last setback at home came on May 14 when the A's fell to the Texas Rangers, 6-5, in 10 innings ... Oakland had a three-game winning streak snapped.
- KingHockeyMan @236 - Told U baseball sux to bet. This weekend alone 38 games played as of 5:30PM - the best teams are 14 - 24. And the games are NOT over with!...lmao. . Trust me. In Vegas & places alike , baseball is the slowest & the most unpredictable joke sport of them all to bet with or against. Leave useless base-puss-y-ball sport ALONEE. . Play NHL, NFL, NBA & sports like them not played in a series form in their regular seasons, ...period. Just checkin in sayin hello. Cya!..PEACE!
Mariners 3, Athletics 2 FinalJun 16 5:38 PM
- SEATTLE: 3
Jun 15 1:03 AM
- Chris Young lead-off Home Run (6) to left. Seth Smith due up.
Mariners 3, Athletics 2 Bot 8, 0 OutsJun 15 12:35 AM
- Raul Ibanez single to first scored Nick Franklin with two out. On the play, Michael Morse advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Mike Zunino due up.
Mariners 3, Athletics 1 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 15 12:29 AM
- KingHockeyMan 3-12 on the day w/puss-y-ball. All but 2 winning record teams won. Baseball plays 162 games per year not counting pre-season & playoffs. About220+ games per year. Too many? No. Why? Because it's such an easy game to play. No real contact at all. It is the lowest in sports betting in many ways. NO MORE FOR ME! Only the NHL, NFL, & NBA Leagues will I bet on. NO MORE USELESS baseball-puss-y for me! PEACE!
Mariners 2, Athletics 1 Top 8, 1 OutJun 15 12:22 AM
- Mike Zunino one-out, solo Home Run (1) to center. Michael Saunders due up.
Mariners 2, Athletics 1 Top 7, 1 OutJun 15 12:00 AM
- Eric Sogard double to right scored Adam Rosales with two out. Runner on second and Chris Young due up.
Mariners 1, Athletics 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 14 11:38 PM
- Mike Zunino grounded into a double play, short to second to first that scored Michael Morse with two out. Raul Ibanez out at second. None on and Michael Saunders due up.
Mariners 1, Athletics 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 14 10:28 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 14 10:08 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21