Wilson, Angels turn back YankeesJun 15, 2013 - 5:42 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - C.J. Wilson pitched seven solid innings and was backed by 13 hits as the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim downed the New York Yankees, 5-2, in the opener of a three-game series.
Wilson (5-5) limited New York to two runs on five hits and three walks, and Kevin Jepsen and Ernesto Frieri each pitched a scoreless inning of relief to close out the win.
"C.J. had good stuff and he battled. He established himself in the zone. This was a complete game for us," said Angels manager Mike Scioscia.
Chris Iannetta drove in a pair, Mark Trumbo went 3-for-4, scored twice and knocked in another, and Howie Kendrick and Mike Trout each had two hits and an RBI for the Angels, who won back-to-back games for the first time this month.
David Adams knocked in both runs for the Yankees, who have dropped four in a row, including an 18-inning loss to the Athletics on Thursday when they failed to score after the first inning.
"We're trying to get the job done. The guys are giving the effort, we just have to keep fighting," said Yankees manager Joe Girardi.
Andy Pettitte (5-4), who was coming off his 250th career victory, was knocked around for 11 hits and four runs over seven full frames.
New York's Vernon Wells momentarily kept the game tied in the sixth when he threw out Albert Pujols at home from left field. It was the second time in as many days Wells recorded an outfield assist, but the visitors were unable to get out of the inning.
With runners on the corners and two outs, Iannetta dribbled a ground ball back through the mound and into center field to plate Trumbo for a 3-2 Angels lead.
Peter Bourjos was credited with an infield single leading off the seventh when his routine fly ball fell between Adams and Reid Brignac near the second base bag. Pettitte struck out the next two batters before consecutive singles from Pujols and Trumbo pushed an insurance run across.
Jepsen relieved Wilson and put the first two on in the eighth before retiring the heart of the Yankees' order -- Robinson Cano, Wells and Ichiro Suzuki -- to keep it a 4-2 game.
Trout added an RBI single in the eighth, and Frieri hurled a 1-2-3 ninth to pick up his 15th save of the year.
Kendrick gave the Angels an early lead with a two-out, RBI double in the first inning, and the Yankees answered with a two-out rally in the fourth.
Cano recorded New York's first hit with a double down the third-base line. Wells followed with a base hit and Thomas Neal walked to load the bases for Adams, who sent one back up the middle to plate a pair. The single ended the Yankees' 20-inning scoreless drought, but it turned out to be the club's only hit in six chances with runners in scoring position.
After stranding the bases loaded, the Angels evened things in the bottom half when Trumbo scored on Iannetta's sacrifice fly.
Kendrick went 2-for-3 and has 18 hits his last 35 at-bats ... Pujols had three hits ... Pettitte fell to 14-12 in 32 career starts against the Angels ... The Yankees did not record an extra-base hit.
- NEW YORK: 2
LOS ANGELES: 5
Jun 15 1:03 AM
- Mike Trout single to center scored Chris Iannetta with two out. On the play, Peter Bourjos advances to second. Runners on first and second and Josh Hamilton due up.
Yankees 2, Angels 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 15 12:48 AM
- Mark Trumbo single to left scored Peter Bourjos with two out. On the play, Albert Pujols advances to second. Runners on first and second and Howie Kendrick due up.
Yankees 2, Angels 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 15 12:17 AM
- Chris Iannetta single to center scored Mark Trumbo with two out. On the play, Howie Kendrick advances to third. Runners on first and third and Erick Aybar due up.
Yankees 2, Angels 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 14 11:57 PM
- Chris Iannetta sacrifice fly to left scored Mark Trumbo with two out. Runner on second and Erick Aybar due up.
Yankees 2, Angels 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 14 11:23 PM
- David Adams single to center scored Robinson Cano and Vernon Wells with two out. On the play, Thomas Neal advances to second. Runners on first and second and Reid Brignac due up.
Yankees 2, Angels 1 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 14 11:12 PM
- Howie Kendrick double to right scored Josh Hamilton with two out. On the play, Albert Pujols advances to third. Runners on second and third and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Yankees 0, Angels 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 14 10:25 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 14 10:08 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21