Plouffe shines in return as Twins top TigersJun 16, 2013 - 5:20 AM Minneapolis, MN (Sports Network) - Trevor Plouffe went 3-for-3 with a homer and three RBI to help the Minnesota Twins beat the Detroit Tigers, 6-3, in the middle contest of a three-game set at Target Field.
On his 27th birthday and first game off the disabled list, Plouffe had a solid performance at the plate, smashing a two-run homer and a double among his three hits. Joe Mauer had two RBI and Brian Dozier added one as well.
"It's just good to be back," Plouffe said. "We wanted to win this game and I wanted to contribute any way I could."
Samuel Deduno (3-1) had a solid outing for the Twins, yielding just two runs on seven hits over seven frames.
Darin Downs (0-2) took over in the fourth for Detroit starter Anibal Sanchez, who missed his last scheduled start due to shoulder stiffness, with the game tied at 2-2. Downs surrendered three runs on five hits in 2 1/3 innings of relief.
Jhonny Peralta had two RBI for the Tigers, who lost for just the third time in their last nine games.
"We actually swung the bats pretty good, I thought, we just didn't score enough runs," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said. "We kind of let it get away a little bit."
Miguel Cabrera was hit by pitch to start the fourth inning, followed by a Prince Fielder single to put runners on the corners with no outs. A groundout moved Fielder to second and both were driven in by a Peralta single up the middle to give the Tigers a 2-0 lead.
Minnesota answered in the home half of the fourth with a two-run shot to left from Plouffe, after a Justin Morneau single to start the inning.
Sanchez lasted just 3 2/3 innings, his shortest outing of the season, allowing two runs on five hits and four walks.
Plouffe connected on a line drive double to left and Chris Parmelee singled to start the sixth inning. Dozier's RBI single on a ground ball to left gave the Twins the lead.
After a Pedro Florimon sacrifice bunt and a strike out, Mauer delivered a two- out, two-run line drive to extend the lead to 5-2.
Oswaldo Arcia doubled off Evan Reed in the seventh and crossed the plate on a Plouffe single to left field to increase the cushion to four for Minnesota.
Detroit got a run back in the eighth. After a Cabrera double, Fielder reached on a throwing error by Florimon that also allowed Cabrera to score from second.
Glen Perkins worked a 1-2-3 ninth inning to earn his 16th save of the season.
Sanchez has allowed just five home runs in his last 17 starts dating back to last season ... Detroit was 2-for-10 with runners in scoring position ... Plouffe extending his hitting streak to nine games ... Peralta has hit safely in 45 of his last 55 games.
- DETROIT: 3
Jun 15 9:58 PM
- Prince Fielder reached first on Pedro Florimon's throwing error scored Miguel Cabrera with one out. Prince Fielder to second. Runner on second and Victor Martinez due up.
Tigers 3, Twins 6 Top 8, 1 OutJun 15 9:41 PM
- Trevor Plouffe singled to left scored Oswaldo Arcia with two outs. On the play, Trevor Plouffe tagged out at second, left fielder to the second baseman. None on and Chris Parmelee due up.
Tigers 2, Twins 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 15 9:32 PM
- Joe Mauer singled to left scored Chris Parmelee and Brian Dozier with two outs. Runner on second and Ryan Doumit due up.
Tigers 2, Twins 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 15 9:15 PM
- Brian Dozier singled to left scored Trevor Plouffe with none out. On the play, Chris Parmelee advances to second. Runners on first and second and Pedro Florimon due up.
Tigers 2, Twins 3 Bot 6, 0 OutsJun 15 9:10 PM
- Trevor Plouffe one-out, two-run Home Run (5) to left center scored Justin Morneau. Chris Parmelee due up.
Tigers 2, Twins 2 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 15 8:25 PM
- Jhonny Peralta singled to center scored Miguel Cabrera and Prince Fielder with one out. Runner on first and Don Kelly due up.
Tigers 2, Twins 0 Top 4, 1 OutJun 15 8:14 PM
- DETROIT: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 15 7:16 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22