A's stomp M'sJun 17, 2013 - 4:25 AM Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - Josh Reddick finished 4-for-5 with a homer and two RBI, while Josh Donaldson, Seth Smith and Brandon Moss also went deep as the Oakland Athletics avoided the sweep with a 10-2 victory over the Seattle Mariners in the finale of a three-game series.
Moss and Smith both hit solo homers and drove in two runs apiece for the Athletics, who ended a brief two-game losing skid and have won four of six.
Bartolo Colon (9-2) continued his recent success and earned a victory in his sixth straight start after tossing seven innings of eight-hit, two-run ball. The righty has surrendered a combined five runs during the streak.
"That'd be awesome to see," said Reddick about Colon possibly starting the All-Star Game. "Especially toward the end of his career as he's coming down."
Hisashi Iwakuma (7-2) picked up his first loss since April 23, tying a season- low with five innings pitched, allowing four runs on eight hits and three walks.
"He's not going to be perfect everytime," said Seattle manager Eric Wedge about Iwakuma. "It was a tough outing for him, but we were still in the ball game."
The right-hander baffled Oakland in two wins earlier this year, allowing three runs in 13 innings with 16 strikeouts and no walks, but found no such success on Sunday.
Endy Chavez drove in Seattle's two runs with a single in the second for the Mariners.
After tying the game at 2-2 in the fourth, Oakland continued to find success versus Iwakuma one inning later and took a two-run lead. John Jaso drew a leadoff walk, Yoenis Cespedes brought him home with a two-bagger to deep center, and Moss made it 4-2 with a single up the middle.
The inning chased Iwakuma out of the game and A's took advantage of Seattle's bullpen in the seventh, breaking the contest open with four runs.
Donaldson and Smith opened up the action in impressive fashion by smacking back-to-back homers with one out off Blake Beavan to make it 6-2. Reddick and Adam Rosales followed with consecutive singles and Tom Wilhelmsen replaced Beavan.
He allowed an infield single to Eric Sogard to load the bases and walked Coco Crisp to make it 7-2. Jaso rounded out the scoring with a sacrifice fly, scoring Rosales for an 8-2 Oakland lead.
Moss and Reddick stayed hot in the eighth with two solo shots that pushed the margin to 10-2.
Seattle opened up the scoring in the second and struck for two runs. The first three batters of the game, Michael Morse, Jason Bay and Mike Zunino all singled before Chavez came through with one out for a two-run single.
Oakland responded in the fourth on three consecutive hits to tie the game. Donaldson smacked a leadoff double, Smith traded places with him to make it 2-1 and Reddick followed with a RBI single up the middle.
The Mariners haven't swept the A's in Oakland since April 10-12, 2009 ... Donaldson, Smith and Reddick each scored twice and Reddick tied a career-high with four hits ... The Athletics were 4-for-13 with runners in scoring position.
- SEATTLE: 2
Jun 16 7:09 PM
- Josh Reddick two-out, solo Home Run (3) to center. Adam Rosales due up.
Mariners 2, Athletics 10 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 16 7:00 PM
- Brandon Moss lead-off Home Run (12) to right. Josh Donaldson due up.
Mariners 2, Athletics 9 Bot 8, 0 OutsJun 16 6:56 PM
- John Jaso sacrifice fly to left scored Adam Rosales with two out. Runners on first and second and Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Mariners 2, Athletics 8 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 16 6:43 PM
- Coco Crisp walk scored Josh Reddick with one out. Bases loaded and John Jaso due up.
Mariners 2, Athletics 7 Bot 7, 1 OutJun 16 6:40 PM
- Seth Smith one-out, solo Home Run (6) to right. Josh Reddick due up.
Mariners 2, Athletics 6 Bot 7, 1 OutJun 16 6:30 PM
- Josh Donaldson one-out, solo Home Run (10) to center. Seth Smith due up.
Mariners 2, Athletics 5 Bot 7, 1 OutJun 16 6:28 PM
- Brandon Moss single to center scored Yoenis Cespedes with none out. Runner on first and Josh Donaldson due up.
Mariners 2, Athletics 4 Bot 5, 0 OutsJun 16 5:53 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes double to center scored John Jaso with none out. Runner on second and Brandon Moss due up.
Mariners 2, Athletics 3 Bot 5, 0 OutsJun 16 5:47 PM
- Josh Reddick single to center scored Seth Smith with none out. Runner on first and Adam Rosales due up.
Mariners 2, Athletics 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsJun 16 5:28 PM
- Seth Smith double to right scored Josh Donaldson with none out. Runner on second and Josh Reddick due up.
Mariners 2, Athletics 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsJun 16 5:27 PM
- Endy Chavez single to left scored Michael Morse and Jason Bay with one out. On the play, Mike Zunino advances to second. Runners on first and second and Nick Franklin due up.
Mariners 2, Athletics 0 Top 2, 1 OutJun 16 4:40 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 16 4:08 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21