Vargas, offense back Angels over MarinersJun 18, 2013 - 5:47 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Jason Vargas shut down his former team and was backed by 21 hits from his offense, as the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim pounded the Seattle Mariners, 11-3, in the opener of a four-game series.
Vargas (6-4) struck out nine and only walked one while giving up two runs on four hits to pick up a victory made easy by the offensive onslaught.
"I was able to locate my fastball, and my secondary stuff was working. ... And the guys were able to put a lot of runs up," Vargas said.
Albert Pujols, who struck out with the bases loaded to end Sunday's game against the Yankees, bounced back with four hits, including an RBI double during a seven-run sixth inning.
Alberto Callaspo went 4-for-5 with two RBI and two runs scored, while Josh Hamilton added a two-run homer to help the Angels improve to 3-1 on their 10- game homestand.
Aaron Harang (3-7) continued his Jekyll and Hyde season, as he lasted just five innings and allowed four runs on 12 hits just six days after recording his second shutout of the year.
Nick Franklin provided a two-run homer in Seattle's second straight setback.
Hamilton scored on Howie Kendrick's two-out double down the left-field line in the first inning then followed Mike Trout's sacrifice fly in the second with a homer to straightaway center.
The blast hit off the glove of a leaping Michael Saunders and landed over the fence to give the Angels a 4-0 cushion.
Franklin cut the deficit in half with a two-run homer to left field in the third inning, but the Angels broke the game open with a seven-spot in the sixth -- two coming on a throwing error by Franklin.
The Angels sent 12 to the plate against Carter Capps and Charlie Furbush, the latter giving up three consecutive run-scoring singles to Erick Aybar, Callaspo and Chris Iannetta.
"They made their breaks tonight and took advantage of their speed," Mariners manager Eric Wedge said.
Kendrys Morales' RBI groundout in the away eighth accounted for the final margin.
Vargas spent the 2009-12 seasons with the Mariners ... Harang came in 0-3 with an 8.02 ERA in five career starts against the Angels ... Peter Bourjos had three hits and two runs scored in the win ... Trout scored his 200th career run in the seventh.
- SEATTLE: 3
LOS ANGELES: 11
Jun 18 1:04 AM
- Kendrys Morales ground out pitcher to short to first scored Endy Chavez. On the play, Kyle Seager advances to second. Runner on second with two out and Alex Liddi due up.
Mariners 3, Angels 11 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 18 12:48 AM
- Mike Trout reached first on Nick Franklin's throwing error scoring Alberto Callaspo and Chris Iannetta. On the play, Peter Bourjos advances to third. Runners on first and third with two out and Josh Hamilton due up.
Mariners 2, Angels 11 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 18 12:18 AM
- Chris Iannetta single to left scored Erick Aybar. On the play, Alberto Callaspo advances to second. Runners on first and second with two out and Peter Bourjos due up.
Mariners 2, Angels 9 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 18 12:14 AM
- Alberto Callaspo single to center scored Albert Pujols and Howie Kendrick. On the play, Erick Aybar advances to third. Runners on first and third with two out and Chris Iannetta due up.
Mariners 2, Angels 8 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 18 12:10 AM
- Erick Aybar single to short scored Mike Trout. On the play, Howie Kendrick advances to second and Albert Pujols advances to third. Bases loaded with two out and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Mariners 2, Angels 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 18 12:10 AM
- Albert Pujols double to right scored Peter Bourjos. On the play, Mike Trout advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Mark Trumbo due up.
Mariners 2, Angels 5 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 17 11:59 PM
- Nick Franklin two-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left scored Endy Chavez. Kyle Seager due up.
Mariners 2, Angels 4 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 17 10:55 PM
- Josh Hamilton two-out, two-run Home Run (10) to center scored Peter Bourjos. Albert Pujols due up.
Mariners 0, Angels 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 17 10:43 PM
- Mike Trout sacrifice fly to right scored Alberto Callaspo. Runner on first with two out and Josh Hamilton due up.
Mariners 0, Angels 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 17 10:43 PM
- Howie Kendrick double to right scored Josh Hamilton. On the play, Albert Pujols advances to third. Runners on second and third with two out and Erick Aybar due up.
Mariners 0, Angels 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 17 10:24 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 17 10:08 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21