Rays beat Red Sox, avoid Fenway sweepJun 20, 2013 - 7:23 AM Boston, MA (Sports Network) - Wil Myers recorded his first two career RBI, while Desmond Jennings homered and scored twice, as Tampa Bay downed Boston, 6-2, in the finale of a three-game series.
Evan Longoria contributed three hits and drove in a run for the Rays, who shook off a doubleheader sweep on Tuesday and won for just the third time in their last 11.
Jeremy Hellickson (5-3) worked six innings, giving up two runs on seven hits with four strikeouts.
"We have to beat these guys. You have to beat the people in front of you in the division, obviously," said Rays manager Joe Maddon. "We've done a pretty good job over the years; this year has been awkward. A lot of close losses late. And that's something we're not normally used to. We have to get better with that. Hopefully this is the kind of game that can push you in the right direction."
Jonny Gomes collected two hits and knocked in both runs for the Red Sox, who lost for the second time in their last five.
Ryan Dempster (4-8) also lasted six full frames, but was dented in defeat for eight hits and three runs.
"Seemingly there's a guy on each staff that might pitch on the wrong day. That's probably the case with Ryan on a few occasions," said Red Sox manager John Farrell. "That's something completely out of his control, and yet at the same time, we're in a position to win most every time he walks to the mound."
Jose Molina started the fifth with a base hit, then Jennings drew a two-out walk and Zobrist followed with a single to give Tampa a 3-2 edge it did not relinquish.
The Rays produced three more in the seventh as Dempster gave way to Craig Breslow. Jennings hit a one-out single, then Longoria's long base hit managed to bring in Jennings for a two-run spread. James Loney doubled and Breslow was lifted for Alex Wilson, who served up a two-run double to Myers for a 6-2 game.
Jake McGee held the fort in the home half. Joel Peralta atoned for serving up a game-winning two-run homer to Gomes in the back end of Tuesday's twinbill by tossing a scoreless eighth.
Jamey Wright and Fernando Rodney combined for a scoreless ninth, as the latter ended the contest by fanning Gomes swinging.
In the opening frame, Jennings hit a one-out solo shot to put the Rays on the board. Zobrist and Longoria followed with singles and a Jose Iglesias missed catch error put two in scoring position, then a Loney sacrifice fly made it 2-0.
David Ortiz doubled to start the home second, moved up on a Mike Napoli groundout then scored on Gomes' dribbler to third. The game was tied in the bottom of the fourth, as Jarrod Saltalamacchia doubled with two down and came in on another Gomes infield hit.
Tampa has won just three of 12 meetings with Boston this season, and posted its first victory of 2013 at Fenway after five straight losses ... Prior to the contest, the Red Sox signed pitcher and first-round draft pick Trey Ball ... The Rays will play in the 2,500th game in franchise history when they open up a four-game set against the Yankees on Thursday in the Bronx ... Iglesias went hitless, snapping his 18-game streak.
- TAMPA BAY: 6
Jun 19 10:32 PM
- Wil Myers double to right center scored Evan Longoria and James Loney with two outs. Runner on second and Kelly Johnson due up.
Rays 6, Red Sox 2 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 19 9:32 PM
- Evan Longoria single to left scored Desmond Jennings with two outs. Runner on first and James Loney due up.
Rays 4, Red Sox 2 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 19 9:27 PM
- Ben Zobrist single to center scored Jose Molina with two outs. On the play, Desmond Jennings advances to third and Ben Zobrist advances to second on the throw home. Runners on second and third and Evan Longoria due up.
Rays 3, Red Sox 2 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 19 8:37 PM
- Jonny Gomes single to third scored Jarrod Saltalamacchia with two outs. Runner on first and Stephen Drew due up.
Rays 2, Red Sox 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 19 8:25 PM
- Jonny Gomes single to third scored David Ortiz with two outs. Runner on first and Stephen Drew due up.
Rays 2, Red Sox 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 19 7:48 PM
- James Loney sacrifice fly to right scored Ben Zobrist with two outs. Runner on second and Wil Myers due up.
Rays 2, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 19 7:17 PM
- Desmond Jennings one-out, solo Home Run (9) to left. Ben Zobrist due up.
Rays 1, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 19 7:12 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 19 7:10 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21
- Rays-Tigers Preview May 21