Rangers knock around Milone, top A'sJun 20, 2013 - 6:34 AM Arlington, TX (Sports Network) - Adrian Beltre's RBI double capped a four-run sixth inning, and the Texas Rangers pulled away for a 9-4 win over the Oakland Athletics in the third installment of a four-game series.
Lance Berkman belted a two-run homer in the second inning, and Nelson Cruz went 3-for-5 with a pair of RBI for the Rangers, who have won two of the first the contests after entering this set on a six-game slide. Ian Kinsler also drove in two runs and David Murphy had three hits and two runs scored.
Chris Young smacked a three-run homer for the AL West-leading Athletics, who have dropped four of their last six contests. They lead the Rangers by two games.
Justin Grimm (6-5) allowed three hits and as many runs over five innings to get the win, the first by a Rangers starter in club's 18 games this month.
"This win goes to our offense," Grimm said. "They came back and picked me up after that pitch. That's good to see."
Tommy Milone (6-7) was charged with eight hits and six runs over 5 1/3 frames.
"With this lineup, you can't afford to miss a whole lot and expect good results," A's manager Bob Melvin said. "That's what they get paid to do -- hit mistakes."
Berkman homered to left-center with Beltre aboard in the second, but Young's blast to center on a 3-1 pitch with two outs in the fifth gave Oakland the lead. Josh Reddick and Eric Sogard walked leading to the go-ahead hit.
Ian Kinsler sacrifice fly to right-center scored Murphy in the bottom of the fifth, and the Rangers went ahead for good later in the inning thanks in part to a poor throw to the plate.
Elvis Andrus walked to put runners at the corners, and Cruz sent a grounder to third base. Josh Donaldson's throw home was toward the first-base side and Leonys Martin beat the tag of Derek Norris with a nifty slide.
Consecutive one-out singles from Robinson Chirinos and David Murphy led Milone to be replaced by Dan Otero. Martin grounded a ball into center field for a 5-3 cushion. Kinsler then lined a single up the middle.
An infield hit by Cruz scored Martin, and Beltre's double to left plated Kinsler to finish the rally for an 8-3 advantage.
A Jesse Chavez wild pitch scored A.J. Pierzynski in the seventh.
Donaldson singled in Yoenis Cespedes in the top of the eighth.
Norris left the game due to an injured groin ... Murphy came into the game in a 7-for-50 slump ... Cruz has reached safely in 11 straight games.
- OAKLAND: 4
Jun 19 11:21 PM
- Josh Donaldson single to left scored Yoenis Cespedes with one out. Runner on first and Seth Smith due up.
Athletics 4, Rangers 9 Top 8, 1 OutJun 19 11:05 PM
- Leonys Martin advances to second, David Murphy advances to third and A.J. Pierzynski scored on a Jesse Chavez wild pitch with two out. Runners on second and third and Elvis Andrus at the plate.
Athletics 3, Rangers 9 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 19 10:57 PM
- Adrian Beltre double to left scored Ian Kinsler with two out. On the play, Nelson Cruz advances to third. Runners on second and third and Lance Berkman due up.
Athletics 3, Rangers 8 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 19 10:31 PM
- Nelson Cruz infield single to short scored Leonys Martin with two out. On the play, Ian Kinsler advances to third. Runners on first and third and Adrian Beltre due up.
Athletics 3, Rangers 7 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 19 10:22 PM
- Ian Kinsler single to center scored David Murphy with one out. On the play, Leonys Martin advances to second. Runners on first and second and Elvis Andrus due up.
Athletics 3, Rangers 6 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 19 10:19 PM
- Leonys Martin single to center scored Robinson Chirinos with one out. On the play, David Murphy advances to second. Runners on first and second and Ian Kinsler due up.
Athletics 3, Rangers 5 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 19 10:15 PM
- Nelson Cruz safe on a fielder's choice to third scoring Leonys Martin with one out. On the play, Elvis Andrus advances to second. Runners on first and second and Adrian Beltre due up.
Athletics 3, Rangers 4 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 19 9:43 PM
- Ian Kinsler sacrifice fly to center scored David Murphy with one out. On the play, Leonys Martin advances to third. Runner on third and Elvis Andrus due up.
Athletics 3, Rangers 3 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 19 9:35 PM
- Chris Young two-out, three-run Home Run (7) to center scored Josh Reddick and Eric Sogard. Jed Lowrie due up.
Athletics 3, Rangers 2 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 19 9:22 PM
- Lance Berkman none-out, two-run Home Run (6) to left scored Adrian Beltre. A.J. Pierzynski due up.
Athletics 0, Rangers 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsJun 19 8:33 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 19 8:07 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22