Twins finish off sweep of road-weakened White SoxJun 20, 2013 - 11:21 PM Minneapolis, MN (Sports Network) - Minnesota wrapped up a three-game sweep of the floundering Chicago White Sox with an 8-4 win that featured the Twins belting four home runs.
Brian Dozier launched a two-run blast for the Twins, with Oswaldo Arcia, Clete Thomas and Eduardo Escobar adding solo shots.
Arcia and Joe Mauer each had three hits to help Minnesota conclude its homestand with a 6-3 mark. Scott Diamond (5-6) earned the win after allowing four runs -- three earned -- on seven hits in 5 1/3 innings.
"It really helps when you get the (defense) behind you and especially the bats," Diamond said.
Paul Konerko and Adam Dunn clubbed back-to-back homers in the sixth for Chicago, which has lost seven of its last eight games and 17 of 22 overall.
John Danks (1-4) served up all four Minnesota homers in his five innings of work. The left-hander was tagged for six runs and 12 hits.
"The home runs hurt, but we weren't helping (Danks) defensively," said Chicago manager Robin Ventura.
The road-weary White Sox made things interesting in the ninth, loading the bases after Minnesota reliever Jared Burton retired the first two batters. However, Burton and the rest of the fans at Target Field exhaled when Alex Rios flew out to the warning track in left field to end the game.
Chicago lost for the 15th time in its last 17 road games.
The Twins jumped on Danks in the second as Arcia and Dozier both took him deep. Dozier homered for the third time in his last four games.
The White Sox had an another bases-loaded chance in the fourth and got a run via a two-out error by third baseman Trevor Plouffe. That was all Chicago could muster, though, as Gordon Beckham flied out to right to end the threat.
Thomas and Escobar then crushed back-to-back homers in the bottom of the inning to extend Minnesota's lead to 5-1. Arcia added a two-out, RBI single in the fifth before Diamond hit a rough patch in the sixth, surrendering the homers to Konerko and Dunn after Rios opened the frame with a single.
Once again, the Twins quickly answered against Chicago reliever Matt Lindstrom. Aided by a fielding error, Minnesota loaded the bases with two outs in the home sixth and Justin Morneau plated a pair with a base hit.
Reliever Jesse Crain made his 28th consecutive scoreless appearance, a new White Sox record. Crain pitched the seventh inning and broke a tie with J.J. Putz, who didn't allow a run in 27 straight appearances during the 2010 season ... The Twins notched their first three-game sweep of the White Sox in Minnesota since Sept. 23-25, 2008 ... Chicago shortstop Alexei Ramirez had four hits ... Dunn upped his home run total this season to 19, yet he is still batting .184 ... At 29-41, the White Sox are 12 games under .500 for the first time since ending the 2007 season with a 72-90 record.
- CHICAGO: 4
Jun 20 4:18 PM
- Justin Morneau singled to center scored Joe Mauer and Ryan Doumit. On the play, Josh Willingham advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Trevor Plouffe due up.
White Sox 4, Twins 8 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 20 3:19 PM
- Adam Dunn none-out, solo Home Run (19) to right. Dayan Viciedo due up.
White Sox 4, Twins 6 Top 6, 0 OutsJun 20 2:55 PM
- Paul Konerko none-out, two-run Home Run (7) to left scored Alex Rios. Adam Dunn due up.
White Sox 3, Twins 6 Top 6, 0 OutsJun 20 2:53 PM
- Oswaldo Arcia singled to center scored Trevor Plouffe. Runner on first with two outs and Clete Thomas due up.
White Sox 1, Twins 6 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 20 2:46 PM
- Eduardo Escobar one-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Brian Dozier due up.
White Sox 1, Twins 5 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 20 2:25 PM
- Clete Thomas one-out, solo Home Run (1) to right. Eduardo Escobar due up.
White Sox 1, Twins 4 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 20 2:24 PM
- Jeff Keppinger reached first on Trevor Plouffe's throwing error. On the play, Plouffe's error scored Paul Konerko. On the play, Dayan Viciedo advances to second and Adam Dunn advances to third. Bases loaded with two outs and Gordon Beckham due up.
White Sox 1, Twins 3 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 20 2:19 PM
- Brian Dozier two-out, two-run Home Run (6) to left scored Clete Thomas. Joe Mauer due up.
White Sox 0, Twins 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 20 1:48 PM
- Oswaldo Arcia one-out, solo Home Run (5) to right. Clete Thomas due up.
White Sox 0, Twins 1 Bot 2, 1 OutJun 20 1:43 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 20 1:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22