Tribe down TwinsJun 22, 2013 - 3:54 AM Cleveland, OH (Sports Network) - Jason Kipnis drove in three runs and Scott Kazmir pitched seven solid innings as the Cleveland Indians defeated the Minnesota Twins, 5-1, in the opener of a three-game series at Progressive Field.
Mark Reynolds and Drew Stubbs had an RBI apiece for the Indians, who have won seven of their last nine games.
Kazmir (4-4) allowed just one run on five hits while striking out seven in his outing.
"I know we shouldn't speak too soon, but we feel comfortable out there," said Kazmir. "We're making quality pitches and we're taking good at-bats, so it's a good sign."
Brian Dozier had a home run, but the Twins mustered just five hits. Starter Scott Deduno (3-2) gave up four runs on six hits and two walks in six-plus innings.
"I'm not realy happy because we lost the game but I am happy with what I've been doing and we just got to keep going," said Deduno.
The Indians got on the board in the second inning. Michael Brantley smacked a double to right center and scored on Reynolds' hit up the middle.
An inning later, Drew Stubbs drew a leadoff walk, advanced to third on a Michael Bourn single and scored on a sacrifice fly by Kipnis.
Dozier homered to start the sixth, but the Indians scored three runs in the seventh.
Reynolds hit a leadoff single and Lonnie Chisenhall walked. Following a fly out by Yan Gomes, Stubbs delivered an RBI single to left.
Bourn grounded into a fielder's choice that forced Stubbs out at second, but after Mike Aviles drew a walk, Kipnis delivered a blooper to left center, plating Chisenhall and Bourn.
Vinnie Pestano pitched a 1-2-3 ninth for Cleveland to end the game.
The Twins were 0-for-6 with runners in scoring position ... Stubbs recorded his 200th career RBI ... Kipnis is hitting .363 and has seven RBI over the last seven games.
- MINNESOTA: 1
Jun 21 9:41 PM
- Jason Kipnis singled to left scoring John McDonald and Michael Bourn. On the play, Mike Aviles advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Carlos Santana due up.
Twins 1, Indians 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 21 9:25 PM
- Drew Stubbs singled to left scoring Mark Reynolds. On the play, Lonnie Chisenhall advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Michael Bourn due up.
Twins 1, Indians 3 Bot 7, 1 OutJun 21 9:08 PM
- Brian Dozier lead-off Home Run (7) to left. Joe Mauer due up.
Twins 1, Indians 2 Top 6, 0 OutsJun 21 8:27 PM
- Jason Kipnis sacrifice fly out to second scoring Drew Stubbs. Runner on second with two outs and Carlos Santana due up.
Twins 0, Indians 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 21 7:56 PM
- Mark Reynolds singled to left center scoring Michael Brantley. None on with two outs and Lonnie Chisenhall due up.
Twins 0, Indians 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 21 7:33 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 21 7:06 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21