Victorino stars as Red Sox outslug TigersJun 22, 2013 - 2:55 AM Detroit, MI (Sports Network) - Shane Victorino finished 4-for-5 with a solo homer and drove in a season-high five runs as Boston took down Detroit, 10-6, in the second edition of a four-game set.
Jacoby Ellsbury added two hits, two RBI and scored twice for the Red Sox, who shook off a ninth-inning loss in Thursday's series opener to win for the third time in five contests. Stephen Drew contributed three hits and crossed home three times for the Sox.
Jon Lester (7-4) did enough to win, lasting 5 2/3 innings during which he allowed nine hits and five runs, walking three and fanning as many.
Miguel Cabrera ended up 4-for-4 with a three-run homer for the Tigers, who have lost three of their last four. Andy Dirks posted a solo shot in the loss.
Doug Fister (6-5) was tagged in defeat for 11 hits and six runs over only 3 1/3 frames.
The Red Sox chased Fister in a four-run fourth. Jarrod Saltalamacchia reached with a one-out hit, then Drew singled and Jose Iglesias beat out a grounder to short to load the bases. Ellsbury clubbed a two-run double and Victorino followed with a two-run single for a 6-1 spread.
Dustin Pedroia singled and the Detroit starter was finally lifted for Darin Downs, who induced an inning-ending double-play grounder from David Ortiz.
Dirks began the home half with a shot to right-center field, then Brayan Pena singled, Torii Hunter added a one-out hit, and Cabrera brought everyone home with a three-run blast to left-center field to make the score 6-5.
Boston got a run back when Iglesias hit a one-out triple in the sixth and scored on a two-out hit from Victorino.
Boston expanded its lead to 9-5 in the eighth. With the bases loaded and one out, Victorino hit a ground ball to short, but Saltalamacchia beat the throw home. Drew later scored on a wild pitch.
Drew singled with two away in the ninth and came around to score on a base hit from Iglesias, compounded by Tigers center fielder Avisail Garcia's flub when trying to snare the ball.
Andrew Miller walked Hunter and gave up a single to Cabrera with one out in the home half before a Prince Fielder fielder's choice grounder scores Hunter. Victor Martinez grounded to second to cap the contest.
Victorino's one-out solo shot put the Sox on the board in the first, then Pena's two-out single to score Martinez evened the game in the home second.
Ellsbury and Victorino's back-to-back one-out hits in the third led to another Boston run when Pedroia's groundout scored Ellsbury.
Victorino's previous season high for runs batted in was three, during an 8-2 win in the Bronx on April 1 ... Boston's road record of 22-16 is tops in the American League ... Prior to the contest, the Tigers announced that reliever Jose Valverde was designated for assignment, while recalling pitcher Al Alburquerque and Garcia from Triple-A Toledo, and placing outfielder Matt Tuiasosopo on the 15-day disabled list (retroactive to June 20) with a left strained intercostal muscle ... The Red Sox announced the signing of third-round draft pick catcher Jon Denney before the game, along with pitchers Corey Littrell, Jake Drehoff, Gabe Speier, as well as outfielder Jordon Austin.
- BOSTON: 10
Jun 21 10:28 PM
- Prince Fielder grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scored Torii Hunter. On the play, Miguel Cabrera out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Victor Martinez due up.
Red Sox 10, Tigers 6 Bot 9, 2 OutsJun 21 10:24 PM
- Jose Iglesias singled to center. On the play, Stephen Drew advances to home and Jose Iglesias advances to second on Avisail Garcia's fielding error. Runner on second with two outs and Jacoby Ellsbury due up.
Red Sox 10, Tigers 5 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 21 10:15 PM
- Al Alburquerque's wild pitch scored Stephen Drew. On the play, Shane Victorino advances to second and Jacoby Ellsbury advances to third on a wild pitch. Runners on second and third with two outs and David Ortiz at the plate.
Red Sox 9, Tigers 5 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 21 9:51 PM
- Shane Victorino grounded into a fielder's choice to short scored Jarrod Saltalamacchia. On the play, Jacoby Ellsbury advances to second and Stephen Drew advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Red Sox 8, Tigers 5 Top 8, 1 OutJun 21 9:48 PM
- Shane Victorino single to left scored Jose Iglesias. Runner on first with two outs and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Red Sox 7, Tigers 5 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 21 8:58 PM
- Miguel Cabrera one-out, three-run Home Run (20) to left scored Brayan Pena and Torii Hunter. Prince Fielder due up.
Red Sox 6, Tigers 5 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 21 8:46 PM
- Andy Dirks lead-off Home Run (6) to right. Brayan Pena due up.
Red Sox 6, Tigers 2 Bot 5, 0 OutsJun 21 8:39 PM
- Shane Victorino single to center scored Jose Iglesias and Jacoby Ellsbury. Runner on first with one out and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Red Sox 6, Tigers 1 Top 4, 1 OutJun 21 8:19 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury double to right scored Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Stephen Drew. On the play, Jose Iglesias advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Shane Victorino due up.
Red Sox 4, Tigers 1 Top 4, 1 OutJun 21 8:18 PM
- Dustin Pedroia ground out third to first scored Jacoby Ellsbury. On the play, Shane Victorino advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and David Ortiz due up.
Red Sox 2, Tigers 1 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 21 7:57 PM
- Brayan Pena single to right scored Victor Martinez. On the play, Jhonny Peralta advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Omar Infante due up.
Red Sox 1, Tigers 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 21 7:47 PM
- Shane Victorino one-out, solo Home Run (3) to right. Dustin Pedroia due up.
Red Sox 1, Tigers 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 21 7:11 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 21 7:08 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22