Bautista's HR lifts Jays to 10th straight winJun 23, 2013 - 12:46 AM Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - Jose Bautista smacked a tie-breaking two-run homer in the bottom of the eighth inning to send the streaking Toronto Blue Jays past the Baltimore Orioles, 4-2, Saturday in the second of a three-game series at Rogers Centre.
Baltimore starter Miguel Gonzalez (5-3) lasted 7 1/3 innings and was relieved by Darren O'Day in the eighth with one out and a runner on first. After Rajai Davis grounded into a fielder's choice, Bautista drew a full count offering and smacked a lined shot that landed just over the left field wall.
"I was just concerned about having a good at-bat for the team," Bautista said. "Trying to make something happen. We have a great streak going on and obviously we want to continue that and my focus was entirely on that."
Darren Oliver (3-1) earned the win despite allowing Taylor Teagarden to tie the game at 2-2 in the top of the eighth with a solo shot. Casey Janssen tossed a 1-2-3 ninth to record his 17th save of the season and help the Blue Jays extended their winning streak to 10 games.
"It's fun to watch, fun to be a part of and fun to manage," Toronto manager John Gibbons said of the winning streak.
Toronto only managed four hits, with Maicer Izturis also connecting on a solo shot. Starter Chien-Ming Wang pitched well, allowing just one run over 6 1/3 frames.
Gonzalez was tagged for three runs on three hits and three walks, while Travis Ishikawa drove in one for the Orioles, who dropped the first two games of the series.
"He was outstanding today, he pitched very well." Baltimore manager Buck Showalter said of Gonzalez. "He gives us a chance to win more often than not and he did it again today, we just didn't do a whole lot offensively."
Izturis' homer in the fifth helped the Jays take a 2-1 advantage, though Teagarden came through in the clutch versus Oliver in the eighth with a line- drive shot to left, tying the game at 2-2.
Perhaps even more telling about the homer was that it snapped the Blue Jays' bullpen earned runs streak of 27 2/3 innings without allowing a run. The team record was 28 innings, set in 1989.
Still, the Jays responded like they have during the impressive win streak as Bautista battled with two-outs and provided the eventual difference-maker.
Melky Cabrera helped Toronto get on the board in the first after drawing a leadoff walk and advancing to third on Adam Lind's single with two down. Gonzalez then helped Cabrera home with a wild pitch to make it 1-0.
Wang retired eight straight batters from the middle of the second through the fourth, but ran into trouble in the fifth. Chris Davis opened up the frame with an infield single, advanced to second on a J.J. Hardy groundout and scored on Ishikawa's RBI single to knot the game at 1-1.
The Blue Jays (37-36) last had a 10-game winning streak from Aug. 30-Sept. 9, 2008 ... Toronto won a franchise-best 11 in a row in 1987 and 1998 ... The Jays have also won five straight at home for the first time since Sept. 23-27, 2010 ... It was Bautista's 16th homer of the season ... Orioles center fielder Adam Jones had a 17-game hit streak versus Toronto come to an end after going 0-for-4.
- BALTIMORE: 2
Jun 22 3:44 PM
- Jose Bautista two-out, two-run Home Run (16) to left scored Rajai Davis. Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Orioles 2, Blue Jays 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 22 3:35 PM
- Taylor Teagarden one-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Nate McLouth due up.
Orioles 2, Blue Jays 2 Top 8, 1 OutJun 22 3:17 PM
- Maicer Izturis lead-off Home Run (5) to right. Emilio Bonifacio due up.
Orioles 1, Blue Jays 2 Bot 5, 0 OutsJun 22 2:35 PM
- Travis Ishikawa singled to center scoring Chris Davis. Runner on first with one out and Ryan Flaherty due up.
Orioles 1, Blue Jays 1 Top 5, 1 OutJun 22 2:26 PM
- Miguel Gonzalez' wikd pitch scored Melky Cabrera. Adam Lind advances to second on a wild pitch. Runner on second with two outs and Colby Rasmus at the plate.
Orioles 0, Blue Jays 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 22 1:25 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 22 1:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22