Franklin pushes M's past AthleticsJun 23, 2013 - 6:06 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Nick Franklin's two-run single in the eighth inning lifted the Seattle Mariners to a 7-5 win over the Oakland Athletics on Saturday.
With two on and no outs, Franklin ripped a base hit to left-center field off Ryan Cook (1-1) to score Brendan Ryan and Endy Chavez.
Jed Lowrie hit a leadoff single in the ninth, but Yoervis Medina (2-2) got Yoenis Cespedes to ground into a double play and Brandon Moss to fly out to end the game.
Franklin finished the game 3-for-5 with three RBI and Raul Ibanez cracked a three-run homer for the Mariners, who snapped a three-game skid.
Franklin Gutierrez, who returned to the lineup after missing two months with a right hamstring injury, went 2-for-4 with a solo homer.
Lowrie went 3-for-3 with three RBI while Josh Reddick and Josh Donaldson added one RBI apiece for the A's, losers in three of their last four games.
Seattle jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the second inning. Gutierrez smacked a leadoff homer and Justin Smoak and Henry Blanco each walked afterwards. After back-to-back strikeouts, Franklin smacked a base hit to right to score Smoak.
Oakland cut the deficit in half in the third inning on Lowrie's sacrifice fly to right field.
The A's then added a pair of runs in both the fifth and seventh innings to go up 5-2.
With the bases loaded in the fifth, Lowrie ripped a single to right to score Chris Young and Eric Sogard.
Donaldson and Reddick hit back-to-back RBI singles in the seventh to make it 5-2.
Ibanez, though, knotted things up with a three-run blast in the bottom of the seventh. Kyle Seager singled and Kendrys Morales walked to put to two on for Ibanez, who cracked his 15th homer of the season over the wall in right-center field.
Five of Ibanez's 10 hits off left-handed pitchers this season have been home runs ... Earlier on Saturday, Seattle placed Michael Morse on the 15-day disabled list with right quad strain ... M's starter Aaron Harang was tagged for three runs on six hits over five innings ... Oakland starter Dan Straily gave up two runs on six hits over just 3 1/3 innings.
- OAKLAND: 5
Jun 23 1:43 AM
- Nick Franklin singled to left center scored Brendan Ryan and Endy Chavez. Runner on first with none out and Kyle Seager due up.
Athletics 5, Mariners 7 Bot 8, 0 OutsJun 23 1:25 AM
- Raul Ibanez one-out, three-run Home Run (15) to right center scored Kyle Seager and Kendrys Morales. Franklin Gutierrez due up.
Athletics 5, Mariners 5 Bot 7, 1 OutJun 23 12:58 AM
- Josh Reddick singled to center scored Yoenis Cespedes. On the play, Josh Donaldson advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Chris Young due up.
Athletics 5, Mariners 2 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 23 12:46 AM
- Josh Donaldson singled to left center scored Jed Lowrie. On the play, Yoenis Cespedes advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Josh Reddick due up.
Athletics 4, Mariners 2 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 23 12:44 AM
- Jed Lowrie singled to right center scored Chris Young and Eric Sogard. On the play, Coco Crisp advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Athletics 3, Mariners 2 Top 5, 1 OutJun 22 11:52 PM
- Jed Lowrie sacrifice fly to right scored Eric Sogard. Runner on first with two outs and Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Athletics 1, Mariners 2 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 22 11:09 PM
- Nick Franklin singled to right scored Justin Smoak. On the play, Henry Blanco advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Kyle Seager due up.
Athletics 0, Mariners 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 22 10:57 PM
- Franklin Gutierrez lead-off Home Run (5) to right center. Justin Smoak due up.
Athletics 0, Mariners 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsJun 22 10:44 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 22 10:10 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21