HRs by Davis, Casilla rally O's past IndiansJun 26, 2013 - 1:58 AM Baltimore, MD (Sports Network) - With one mighty swing of the bat, Baltimore Orioles first baseman Chris Davis changed an entire game.
Cleveland Indians starter Justin Masterson cruised through six innings almost unscathed, but Davis crushed his major league-best 28th home run to tie the game and ignite a seventh-inning rally that led Baltimore to a 6-3 win in the second contest of a four-game series.
Four batters after Davis' blast, Alexi Casilla lined a three-run shot to right field to put the Orioles on top.
Baltimore starter Chris Tillman (9-2) rebounded from early struggles with his command to win his sixth straight decision. Tillman gave up three runs on four hits and four walks in seven innings for the Orioles, who dropped the series opener.
"He doesn't give in," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said. "There's a lot beating in there. He's a competitive guy. He holds himself to a high standard."
Jason Kipnis had a pair of hits, including a two-run home run, for the Indians. He has reached base in 27 straight games.
After getting tagged for five runs in the seventh, Masterson (9-6) left the game on the hook for six runs in 6 1/3 innings with seven strikeouts.
"He had a tough inning and they made him pay for it," Cleveland manager Terry Francona said. "When you let them get their arms extended, especially in this ballpark, they're very dangerous one through nine."
Cleveland took advantage of Tillman's shaky control early in the game to take the lead. Mike Aviles shot a one-out single through the right side in the first. After a pair of walks, Aviles scored on Michael Brantley's sacrifice fly.
The Tribe added to its lead in the fifth inning. After Michael Bourn led off with a double, Kipnis drove a high changeup over the left-center-field fence.
Masterson retired the first 12 Orioles he faced but surrendered a leadoff single to Adam Jones in the fifth. Jones reached third on Davis' long single to the right-field warning track, then scored when J.J. Hardy softly hit a grounder into a fielder's choice.
Jones started the rally in the seventh when he took a slider off his left thigh. Davis jumped on the next pitch, a sinker, and pulled it into the right- field seats to tie the game.
Baltimore continued its rally. Matt Wieters followed with a walk, and two batters later Chris Dickerson beat out an infield single. Casilla then mashed a slider out to right field for his first home run of the season to give the Orioles a 6-3 lead.
Troy Patton tossed a scoreless eighth and Jim Johnson survived a hit and a pair of walks to record his major-league-best 27th save.
Tillman tied the Oakland Athletics' Bartolo Colon for the American League lead with six wins in June ... Manny Machado smacked his league-leading 35th double to tie Magglio Ordonez (2007) and Mike Sweeney (2001) for the most before the All-Star Break ... Cleveland is 7-18 against the AL East this season ... Masterson is 2-3 with a 6.86 earned run average (26 earned runs in 34 1/3 innings) in seven games --- five starts --- in his career at Camden Yards ... Kipnis has hit .365 (35-for-96) in his 27-game streak dating back to May 26. In that span, he has 19 RBI and 15 runs.
- CLEVELAND: 3
Jun 25 9:31 PM
- Alexi Casilla one-out, three-run Home Run (1) to right scored Matt Wieters and Chris Dickerson. Nate McLouth due up.
Indians 3, Orioles 6 Bot 7, 1 OutJun 25 8:58 PM
- Chris Davis none-out, two-run Home Run (28) to right center scored Adam Jones. Matt Wieters due up.
Indians 3, Orioles 3 Bot 7, 0 OutsJun 25 8:50 PM
- J.J. Hardy fielder's choice ground out, short to second scored Adam Jones with two outs. Chris Davis out at second. Runner on first and Chris Dickerson due up.
Indians 3, Orioles 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 25 8:26 PM
- Jason Kipnis one-out, two-run Home Run (10) to left center scored Michael Bourn. Nick Swisher due up.
Indians 3, Orioles 0 Top 5, 1 OutJun 25 8:13 PM
- Michael Brantley sacrifice fly to left scored Mike Aviles with two outs. Runners on first and second and and Carlos Santana due up.
Indians 1, Orioles 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 25 7:15 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 25 7:07 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21