Moore, balanced offense send Rays over JaysJun 26, 2013 - 2:57 AM St. Petersburg, FL (Sports Network) - Desmond Jennings was one of five different Tampa Bay players to drive in one run and Matt Moore matched a career-high with 11 strikeouts, as the Rays downed the Toronto Blue Jays, 5-1, in the middle test of a three-game set at Tropicana Field.
Jennings finished with two hits, while Sean Rodriguez, Ben Zobrist, Wil Myers and Kelly Johnson all plated a run apiece for the Rays, winners of three straight and five of seven overall.
Moore (10-3) earned his second straight win following a three-game slide by tossing six frames, allowing the lone run on four hits, though he did walk six in the win.
One day after its 11-game winning streak came to an end in 4-1 loss, Toronto struggled offensively again, generating just six hits and one run thanks to Maicer Izturis' second-inning RBI single.
Mark Buehrle (4-5) allowed four runs on eight hits with four walks in five frames to absorb the loss. He struck out two.
Toronto plated the game's first run in the second after Moore walked his second batter of the frame, J.P. Arencibia, to put runners on first and second with two outs. Izturis then smacked a single to put the Jays on top 1-0.
However, that was the only offense the visitors would provide all game long and the Rays struck back in the fourth while scoring three runs to take control.
Buehrle struggled early issuing a leadoff walk, then plunking Johnson and giving up a Jennings single to load the bases. The next two batters, Rodriguez and Zobrist, provided back-to-back sacrifice flys to make it 3-1. Jose Molina scored on Rodriguez's hit in impressive fashion by dodging Arencibia's tag attempt at the plate.
Buehrle intentionally walked Evan Longoria and the hot-hitting rookie Myers made him pay with an RBI single to left-center to make it 4-1 Tampa Bay.
The hosts added another run in the seventh versus Brett Cecil as Johnson's groundout to second scored Yunel Escobar, who singled to lead off the frame.
Moore has defeated the Jays twice this season with his other win coming on May 8 ... Escobar and James Loney each finished 3-for-5, while Longoria walked three times ... Toronto left 11 runners on base and went 1-for-8 with runners in scoring position ... Moore's 120 pitches were a career-high.
- TORONTO: 1
TAMPA BAY: 5
Jun 25 10:23 PM
- Kelly Johnson's ground out second to first scored Yunel Escobar with two out. On the play, James Loney advances to third. Runner on third and Desmond Jennings due up.
Blue Jays 1, Rays 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 25 9:49 PM
- Wil Myers single to left center scored Desmond Jennings with two out. On the play, Evan Longoria advances to second. Runners on first and second and Yunel Escobar due up.
Blue Jays 1, Rays 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 25 8:41 PM
- Ben Zobrist sacrifice fly out to right scored Kelly Johnson with two out. On the play, Desmond Jennings advances to third. Runner on third and Evan Longoria due up.
Blue Jays 1, Rays 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 25 8:38 PM
- Sean Rodriguez sacrifice fly out to right scored Jose Molina with one out. On the play, Desmond Jennings advances to second and Kelly Johnson advances to third. Runners on second and third and Ben Zobrist due up.
Blue Jays 1, Rays 2 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 25 8:37 PM
- Desmond Jennings single to left center scored James Loney with two out. On the play, Jose Molina advances to second. Runners on first and second and Sean Rodriguez due up.
Blue Jays 1, Rays 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 25 7:55 PM
- Maicer Izturis single to right scored Rajai Davis with two out. On the play, J.P. Arencibia advances to third. Runners on first and third and Melky Cabrera due up.
Blue Jays 1, Rays 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 25 7:44 PM
- TORONTO: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 25 7:11 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21