Griffin, Athletics blank RedsJun 27, 2013 - 7:11 AM Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - A.J. Griffin tossed his first career shutout and Josh Donaldson hit a three-run homer as the Oakland Athletics blanked the Cincinnati Reds, 5-0, to complete a sweep of a brief two-game interleague set.
Griffin (6-6), who earned his first victory since May 25 and snapped a five-start winless streak, shined in striking out seven and allowing just two hits. The righty also surrendered two walks -- both coming in the first inning -- but escaped by fanning Todd Frazier and cruised the rest of the game.
Donaldson also hit a three-run homer in Tuesday's 7-3 series opening win, while Brandon Moss and Nate Freiman drove in a run each for the Athletics in the finale.
Homer Bailey (4-6) absorbed the loss, tossing six frames of six-hit, four-run ball while also striking out seven for Cincinnati, which has dropped five of six. Xavier Paul had a double and Devin Mesoraco added a single to account for the Reds' only offense.
Oakland opened up the scoring in the fourth, as Jed Lowrie and Yoenis Cespedes smacked consecutive singles to open up the inning. Moss' double scored Lowrie to make it 1-0 and Donaldson added to the lead by crushing the first pitch he saw into the left-field bleachers for a 4-0 Athletics' advantage.
"It was down the middle and I was able to hit it pretty good. I was looking to be aggressive with runners in scoring position and got a good pitch to drive," Donaldson said.
The Reds, meanwhile, struggled offensively and didn't register a hit until Mesoraco's one-out single in the fifth. Paul doubled off Griffin in the seventh with two outs, but Zack Cozart struck out to end the inning.
Oakland added another run off Tony Cingrani in the home half versus. The pinch-hitting Freiman delivered a two-out RBI double scored Eric Sogard, who doubled earlier with one out.
Cincinnati had a chance to open the scoring in the first after Griffin walked two batters in the frame. Frazier, however, struck out looking with runners on second and third and two outs.
The Athletics have won five straight home games versus a National League opponent and improved to 7-2 in interleague play this season ... Griffin tossed 108 pitches, including 73 for strikes ... Cincinnati right fielder Jay Bruce struck out in all four of his at-bats.
- CINCINNATI: 0
Jun 26 5:58 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Nate Freiman doubled to left scoring Eric Sogard with two out. Runner on second and Jed Lowrie due up.
Reds 0, Athletics 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 26 5:35 PM
- Josh Donaldson none-out, three-run Home Run (12) to left scored Yoenis Cespedes and Brandon Moss. Josh Reddick due up.
Reds 0, Athletics 4 Bot 4, 0 OutsJun 26 4:37 PM
- Brandon Moss doubled to right scoring Jed Lowrie with none out. On the play, Yoenis Cespedes advances to third. Runners on second and third and Josh Donaldson due up.
Reds 0, Athletics 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsJun 26 4:36 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 26 3:37 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21