Orioles earn split with IndiansJun 28, 2013 - 4:06 AM Baltimore, MD (Sports Network) - The Orioles used a five-run fifth inning to surge past the Cleveland Indians, 7-3, in the finale of a four-game set at Camden Yards on Thursday to split the series.
Miguel Gonzalez (6-3) pitched an effective 6 2/3 innings, surrendering three runs on nine hits with a career-high tying nine strikeouts. Gonzalez is a perfect 4-0 at Camden Yards and the Orioles are undefeated in his seven home starts.
Ryan Flaherty finished 2-for-3 with two runs batted in while Nick Markakis, Chris Davis, Matt Wieters and J.J. Hardy each recorded an RBI for the Orioles, who won for just the second time in their last seven games.
Corey Kluber (6-5), who snapped a three-game winning streak, was dinged for seven runs -- six earned -- on 11 hits, tying a season-high, in just 4 2/3 innings.
Mike Aviles and Lonnie Chisenhall each connected for solo shots for the Indians, who visit AL Central foe Chicago on Friday to begin a four-game series.
The O's trailed, 3-2, until they used a five-run home fifth, with the help of some Cleveland errors, to open up the game.
Flaherty and Nate McLouth each singled to begin the frame. After a Manny Machado strike out, Markakis' line drive to center tied up the game. Adam Jones' floater dropped in right field to load the bases. On a Davis grounder that looked like a double play ball, Aviles had trouble fielding the ball and could only get Jones out at second which allowed McLouth to score and the inning continue.
Wieters' double off the right-field wall was bobbled by Drew Stubbs and crossed Markakis and Davis to give Baltimore a 6-3 lead. Hardy capped the scoring off by beating out an infield single to increase the cushion to four.
The Indians got the scoring going when Chisenhall connected on a solo home run to right in the second.
The lead vanished quickly when the Orioles answered in the home half of the inning. Davis walked to start the frame and after Wieters singled, both of the runners adavanced a base on a sacrifice bunt. Flaherty delivered a two-out single to right to that scored Davis and Wieters.
Michael Brantley's ground rule double led off the fourth. Two batters later, he crossed the plate on a Chisenhall double to right to tie the game at 2-2.
Aviles homered to start the fifth inning to give Cleveland a one-run lead.
There was an 1-hour and 18-minute rain delay in the seventh inning ... Indians closer Chris Perez was activated from the 15-day disabled list on Thursday ... Of the 26 homers that Gonzalez has given up, 21 of them have been solo shots ... Baltimore closer Jim Johnson turned 30 on Thursday ... Jason Kipnis has reached base safely in 29 consecutive games ... The O's have won the last 11 home games started by Gonzalez ... Machado was ejected in the fifth inning ... Prior to the game, the Indians traded John McDonald to the Phillies in exchange for a player to be named later or cash considerations ... Jones has not drawn a walk since May 18, going 161 plate appearances without a free pass ... Davis' 74 RBI are second in the Major League.
- Michael Bourn grounded out to first to end the game.
Jun 27 11:19 PM
- J.J. Hardy infield single to the pitcher scored Matt Wieters with two out. Runner on first and Travis Ishikawa due up.
Indians 3, Orioles 7 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 27 8:57 PM
- Matt Wieters double to right scored Nick Markakis. On the play, Chris Davis scored on Drew Stubbs's fielding error with two out. Runner on third and J.J. Hardy due up.
Indians 3, Orioles 6 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 27 8:55 PM
- Chris Davis grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scored Nate McLouth with two out. On the play, Adam Jones out at second. Nick Markakis advances to third. Runners on first and third and Matt Wieters due up.
Indians 3, Orioles 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 27 8:52 PM
- Nick Markakis single to center scored Ryan Flaherty with one out. On the play, Nate McLouth advances to second. Runners on first and second and Adam Jones due up.
Indians 3, Orioles 3 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 27 8:47 PM
- Mike Aviles lead-off Home Run (5) to left. Jason Kipnis due up.
Indians 3, Orioles 2 Top 5, 0 OutsJun 27 8:27 PM
- Lonnie Chisenhall double to right scored Michael Brantley with one out. Runner on second and Drew Stubbs due up.
Indians 2, Orioles 2 Top 4, 1 OutJun 27 8:13 PM
- Ryan Flaherty single to right scored Chris Davis and Matt Wieters with two out. Runner on first and Nate McLouth due up.
Indians 1, Orioles 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 27 7:52 PM
- Lonnie Chisenhall two-out, solo Home Run (4) to right. Drew Stubbs due up.
Indians 1, Orioles 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 27 7:32 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 27 7:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21