Lowrie leads A's past CardsJul 1, 2013 - 2:07 AM Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - Jed Lowrie went 2-for-4 with a home run and three RBI to highlight a 12-hit effort by the Oakland Athletics in their 7-5 win over the St. Louis Cardinals at O.co Coliseum.
Josh Donaldson added a solo homer and Yoenis Cespedes went 2-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored for the A's, who took two of three in the interleague series and have won four of their last five overall.
Tommy Milone (7-7) labored through six innings but still picked up his first win since June 3 after allowing five runs -- four earned -- on seven hits and two walks.
"He battled for that win today," Lowrie said of Milone. "He bulldogged through that game. He deserved it."
Matt Carpenter and Carlos Beltran each had three hits with a home run for the Cardinals, who have fallen in six of their last eight games. Allen Craig added a solo homer.
Jake Westbrook (4-3) surrendered 10 hits and six runs over just four frames to take the loss.
"Every once in awhile we have to pick up (our starters) when they aren't as sharp," Cardinals manager Mike Matheny said.
The right-hander was working with a 5-4 lead in the fourth before Lowrie's go- ahead two-run blast cleared the wall in right-center.
After Donaldson took Trevor Rosenthal deep in the seventh, Oakland's bullpen did the rest, as Sean Doolittle and Ryan Cook each threw a scoreless inning of relief prior to Grant Balfour tossing a 1-2-3 ninth to pick up his 19th save in as many chances.
Beltran and Craig hit back-to-back homers in the first after Carpenter led off the game with a double.
The A's got two back in their half on run-scoring hits by Lowrie and Cespedes, but stranded two in the frame.
Carpenter turned on a fastball and hit it just over the scoreboard in right to open the third, and a pair of miscues in the field later in the inning allowed the Cardinals to increase their lead to 5-2. Lowrie let Matt Holliday's two- out grounder dribble through his legs, allowing Beltran to score without a play at the plate after his popup to third was lost in the sun.
With two on in the bottom of the third, Oakland's Brandon Moss crushed one high off the wall in left-center. Seth Smith scored easily on the double, and Cespedes raced home when Carpenter dropped the relay throw from the outfield.
Balfour has converted each of his last 37 save chances, which is the longest active streak in the majors and three short of the Oakland record held by Dennis Eckersley ... The A's had not allowed an unearned run in their previous 19 games ... The Cardinals went 1-for-11 with runners in scoring position ... Game time was 2 hours and 35 minutes.
- Matt Carpenter grounded out short to first to end the game.
Jun 30 6:44 PM
- Josh Donaldson two-out, solo Home Run (13) to right center. Josh Reddick due up.
Cardinals 5, Athletics 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 30 6:19 PM
- Jed Lowrie one-out, two-run Home Run (5) to right scored Chris Young. Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Cardinals 5, Athletics 6 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 30 5:34 PM
- Brandon Moss double to center scored Seth Smith with one out. On the play, Yoenis Cespedes scored on Matt Carpenter's error. Runner on second and Josh Donaldson due up.
Cardinals 5, Athletics 4 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 30 5:08 PM
- Matt Holliday reached first on Jed Lowrie's fielding error scoring Carlos Beltran with two out. Runner on first and David Freese due up.
Cardinals 5, Athletics 2 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 30 5:00 PM
- Matt Carpenter lead-off Home Run (7) to right. Yadier Molina due up.
Cardinals 4, Athletics 2 Top 3, 0 OutsJun 30 4:51 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes double to right center scored Jed Lowrie with one out. Runner on second and Brandon Moss due up.
Cardinals 3, Athletics 2 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 30 4:27 PM
- Jed Lowrie single to right scored Seth Smith with one out. Runner on first and Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Cardinals 3, Athletics 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 30 4:26 PM
- Allen Craig one-out, solo Home Run (9) to left. Matt Holliday due up.
Cardinals 3, Athletics 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 30 4:16 PM
- Carlos Beltran one-out, two-run Home Run (19) to left center scored Matt Carpenter. Allen Craig due up.
Cardinals 2, Athletics 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 30 4:13 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 30 4:08 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21