Jays pound Alvarez, cruise past TigersJul 2, 2013 - 12:03 AM Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - Mark DeRosa's three-run home run helped power the Toronto Blue Jays past the Detroit Tigers, 8-3, in the opener of a four- game series at Rogers Centre.
Jose Reyes hit a solo shot to left field in the bottom of the third inning, with the electrifying shortstop going 3-for-5 on the day.
The Blue Jays' offense provided eight runs for starting pitcher R.A. Dickey (8-8), who picked up his third straight win. The knuckleballer went seven innings and allowed two runs on six hits while fanning four and walking one.
"The team is beat up and the guys that played today came out and responded in a big way. It all started with Dickey who had a great outing," said Toronto manager John Gibbons.
Detroit starter Jose Alvarez (1-2) was chased out of the game after only three innings of work. He gave up five runs -- four earned -- on six hits with four strikeouts and three walks in his fourth major league start.
Omar Infante went 4-for-4 on the day with a solo home run in the top of the ninth inning. The second baseman drove in two runs and was a triple shy of the cycle.
The scoring started in the bottom of the second when Maicer Izturis single and Josh Thole walked with two outs. Alvarez balked which moved the Toronto baserunners over to second and third base. On the next pitch, Kawasaki drove in Izturis to put the Blue Jays up 1-0 before Detroit leftfielder Andy Dirks threw out Thole at the plate to end the Toronto threat.
The Blue Jays added to their lead after Reyes' home run when Arencibia singled to left, driving in Davis and Bautista. Bautista reached home after Dirks' one-hop throw from left field hit him on the helmet at the plate. Izturis then hit a sacrifice fly to center, plating Colby Rasmus.
Prince Fielder tried to spark the Detroit offense with a towering solo shot to right field in the fourth. Infante then hit a ground-rule double to left to drive in Martinez from second.
"We are a little snakebitten right now, as well as not swinging as good as we can so the combination of those things is normally not a good one," said Detroit manager Jim Leyland on the team's hitting woes.
Reliever Luke Putkonen took over the mound for Alvarez in the bottom of the fourth, but did not fare any better. Rajai Davis stole his second base of the day moments before Mark DeRosa crushed a three-run home run off of him to extend Toronto's lead to 8-2.
Toronto reliever Steve Delabar took over for Dickey in the eighth inning. The right-hander worked quickly by striking out the side.
Aaron Loup came in to pitch the ninth and gave up a two-out home run to Infante, but struck out pinch-hitter Avisail Garcia to end the game.
Edwin Encarnacion was scratched from Toronto's lineup due to left hamstring tightness. J.P. Arencibia replaced him at DH ... Detroit was 1-for-7 with runners in scoring position ... Toronto has won seven straight home games... Miguel Cabrera had his 15 game hit streak come to an end after going 0-for-4 ...
- Pinch-Hitter Avisail Garcia struck out swinging to end the game.
Jul 1 3:36 PM
- Omar Infante two-out, solo Home Run (6) to center. Andy Dirks due up.
Tigers 3, Blue Jays 8 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 1 3:34 PM
- Mark DeRosa two-out, three-run Home Run (5) to right scored Rajai Davis and Jose Bautista. Colby Rasmus due up.
Tigers 2, Blue Jays 8 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 1 2:30 PM
- Omar Infante ground-rule double to left scored Victor Martinez. Runner on second with two outs and Andy Dirks due up.
Tigers 2, Blue Jays 5 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 1 2:18 PM
- Prince Fielder one-out, solo Home Run (14) to right. Victor Martinez due up.
Tigers 1, Blue Jays 5 Top 4, 1 OutJul 1 2:14 PM
- Maicer Izturis sacrifice fly out to center scored Colby Rasmus. Runner on second with two outs and Josh Thole due up.
Tigers 0, Blue Jays 5 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 1 2:06 PM
- J.P. Arencibia singled to left scored Rajai Davis and Jose Bautista. On the play, Arencibia advances to second on Andy Dirks's throwing error. Also on the play, Colby Rasmus advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Maicer Izturis due up.
Tigers 0, Blue Jays 4 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 1 2:06 PM
- Jose Reyes lead-off Home Run (3) to left. Rajai Davis due up.
Tigers 0, Blue Jays 2 Bot 3, 0 OutsJul 1 1:54 PM
- Munenori Kawasaki singled to left scored Maicer Izturis. On the play, Josh Thole out at home, left to catcher, to end the inning.
Tigers 0, Blue Jays 1 End 2Jul 1 1:43 PM
- DETROIT: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 1 1:17 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22