Morales homers twice, leads M's past RangersJul 3, 2013 - 3:35 AM Arlington, TX (Sports Network) - Kendrys Morales homered twice and drove in six runs to power the Seattle Mariners to a 9-2 win over the Texas Rangers to start a three-game series.
Raul Ibanez also went deep to back 6 2/3 strong innings from Joe Saunders (6-8), who allowed 10 hits and a pair of runs -- one earned -- while fanning five.
Justin Grimm (7-6) was charged with seven hits and six runs -- five earned -- over four-plus innings for the Rangers, who lost for just the third time in their last 12 contests.
Ibanez and Morales hit back-to-back homers to right field with two outs in the opening inning to stake the Mariners to a 2-0 lead and help the team end a two-game skid.
"Guys were swinging the bats good today, young and old," Mariners manager Eric Wedge said. "There were some balls hit hard today. I liked our approach."
Leonys Martin extended his hitting streak to a career-high 15 games with a bunt single in the bottom of the third. He had his 14th straight successful steal attempt ahead of Ian Kinsler's base hit, which snapped a personal 0- for-16 slump. Martin then scored on an Elvis Andrus line single to left field.
Dustin Ackley doubled to right to drive in Kyle Seager in the fourth inning before Saunders got out of a bases-loaded jam in the bottom half by retiring Andrus on a ground ball.
"We hit some balls hard off of him. He just did a good job of not giving in. When we did hit him it was at someone," Rangers manager Ron Washington said of Saunders.
The Mariners broke it open in the fifth thanks to Morales' three-run blast to right field. Nick Franklin singled and Ibanez reached on Kinsler's error. The homer spelled the end for Grimm, who was replaced by Ross Wolf.
Morales singled to left to drive in two more in the sixth and it became 9-1 in the seventh on Mike Zunino's RBI single.
The Rangers scored on a passed ball in the bottom of the seventh.
The Rangers recalled pitcher Josh Lindblom from Triple-A Round Rock and designated pitcher Kyle McClellan for assignment ... Saunders moved to 4-9 lifetime against the Rangers ... Tom Wilhelmsen had retired the last 11 batters he faced until Martin singled leading off the bottom of the ninth ... Seattle is 6-17 in its last 23 games in Arlington since the start of the 2011 season.
- Elvis Andrus lined into a double play, short to first. On the play, Leonys Martin doubled off first to end the game.
Jul 2 10:58 PM
- Adrian Beltre struck out, but advances to first on a Mike Zunino passed ball. On the play, Zunino's passed ball scored Elvis Andrus. On the play, Engel Beltre advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and A.J. Pierzynski due up.
Mariners 9, Rangers 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 2 10:27 PM
- Mike Zunino singled to left scored Kyle Seager. Runner on first with two outs and Brad Miller due up.
Mariners 9, Rangers 1 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 2 10:08 PM
- Kendrys Morales singled to left scored Endy Chavez and Nick Franklin. On the play, Raul Ibanez out at second, left to pitcher to second to third to end the inning.
Mariners 8, Rangers 1 Mid 6Jul 2 9:58 PM
- Kendrys Morales none-out, three-run Home Run 2 (11) to right scored Nick Franklin and Raul Ibanez. Kyle Seager due up.
Mariners 6, Rangers 1 Top 5, 0 OutsJul 2 9:36 PM
- Dustin Ackley doubled to right scored Kyle Seager. On the play, Justin Smoak advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Mike Zunino due up.
Mariners 3, Rangers 1 Top 4, 0 OutsJul 2 9:13 PM
- Elvis Andrus singled to left scored Leonys Martin. On the play, Ian Kinsler advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Nelson Cruz due up.
Mariners 2, Rangers 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsJul 2 8:58 PM
- Kendrys Morales two-out, solo Home Run (10) to right. Kyle Seager due up.
Mariners 2, Rangers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 2 8:14 PM
- Raul Ibanez two-out, solo Home Run (20) to right. Kendrys Morales due up.
Mariners 1, Rangers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 2 8:13 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 2 8:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21