Gomes' blast in ninth sends Red Sox past PadresJul 4, 2013 - 7:21 AM Boston, MA (Sports Network) - Jonny Gomes' pinch-hit, leadoff homer in the bottom of the ninth sent Boston over San Diego, 2-1, in the second contest in a three-game interleague set.
Gomes greeted Luke Gregerson (4-4) with a deep drive which barely landed in the seats over the Green Monster off a hanging breaking ball to end the contest.
"He stays prepared," said Red Sox manager John Farrell. "That's one thing, in the role that he's in, he's got a lot of experience in it and I guess a flair for the dramatic."
Koji Uehara (2-0) tossed a scoreless top of the ninth for the win.
Jarrod Saltalamacchia knocked in Mike Carp with a double for the Red Sox, who recorded their eighth walk-off victory this season with their seventh win in their last eight games.
Kyle Blanks drove in the lone run for the Padres, who dropped their seventh contest in the last nine.
San Diego picked up a run in the first with two down off Sox starter Jon Lester, thanks to consecutive two-out singles from Carlos Quentin, Chase Headley and Blanks.
The hosts failed to crack the scoreboard in the home third after loading the bases with two outs thanks to a Jose Iglesias plunking, single from Jacoby Ellsbury and intentional walk to David Ortiz when Daniel Nava grounded out.
However, Boston equalized in the fourth off San Diego's Edinson Volquez, as Carp slugged a leadoff single and scored when Saltalamacchia followed with a double.
The Padres left Quentin on third in the sixth, then a Saltalamacchia strike out left two on in the home eighth.
Lester scattered six hits and one run with five strikeouts over seven innings, while Volquez allowed seven hits and one run while fanning six in six full frames ... The Red Sox have won eight of 13 all-time meetings with the Padres since their first matchup in 2002 ... San Diego took two of three from Sox in Boston from June 20-22, 2011 ... Gomes hit his third pinch-hit home run of the season, becoming the first Red Sox player to accomplish the feat since Bernie Carbo in 1977.
- SAN DIEGO: 1
Jul 3 10:21 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Jonny Gomes lead-off Home Run (6) to left to end the game.
Padres 1, Red Sox 2 Bot 9, 0 OutsJul 3 10:18 PM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia doubled to center scoring Mike Carp with none out. Runner on second and Brandon Snyder due up.
Padres 1, Red Sox 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsJul 3 8:38 PM
- Kyle Blanks singled to center scoring Carlos Quentin with two out. On the play, Chase Headley advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jesus Guzman due up.
Padres 1, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 3 7:25 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 3 7:12 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22