Rays top Giants on Myers' 10th-inning hitAug 4, 2013 - 3:13 AM St. Petersburg, FL (Sports Network) - Wil Myers' RBI single in the bottom of the 10th inning lifted the Tampa Bay Rays over the San Francisco Giants, 2-1, in the second test of a three-game series.
The Giants sent Jean Machi (2-1) to the mound in the 10th. Desmond Jennings walked and stole second to get things started for Tampa Bay. Ben Zobrist was then intentionally walked before Evan Longoria walked to load the bases with no outs.
Myers then plated the winning run with a single to left.
The game featured a matchup of former Cy Young Award winners. Tampa Bay's David Price allowed just one run on five hits while striking out five over nine innings. San Francisco's Tim Lincecum also had a good outing, giving up one run on six hits while fanning five over seven innings.
Fernando Rodney (4-2) allowed two hits during a scoreless 10th to pick up the win for the Rays, who snapped a two-game skid.
Each team scored once in the third inning. In the top half, Jeff Francoeur singled, moved to second on Joaquin Arias' groundout and raced home on Brandon Crawford's single to center.
Jose Molina walked to begin the bottom half. He advanced to second on a wild pitch, advanced to third Kelly Johnson's infield single and scored when Ben Zobrist grounded into a fielder's choice.
The Giants put runners on second and third in the fifth, but Crawford struck out looking to end the inning.
San Francisco had another chance to score in the eighth. With a runner on third and two outs, Andres Torres grounded out.
This series marks the first time the Giants have visited Tampa Bay since they lost two of three to the then-Devil Rays back in 2004 ... The Rays went 2- for-8 with runners in scoring position and stranded 11, while the Giants went 1-for-8 with RISP and left five men on.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 1
TAMPA BAY: 2
Aug 3 10:39 PM
- Wil Myers singled to left scored Desmond Jennings with none out to end the game.
Giants 1, Rays 2 Bot 10, 0 OutsAug 3 10:33 PM
- Ben Zobrist grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scored Jose Molina. Kelly Johnson out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Evan Longoria due up.
Giants 1, Rays 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 3 8:08 PM
- Brandon Crawford singled to center scored Jeff Francoeur. Runner on first with one out and Andres Torres due up.
Giants 1, Rays 0 Top 3, 1 OutAug 3 7:53 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 3 7:12 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21