Kozma, Beltran lead Cardinals over GiantsApr 7, 2013 - 1:53 AM
Matt Carpenter had two hits, plated one run and scored two runs and Matt Holliday had one hit and RBI for St. Louis, which evened the best of three series.
"It's a good team. We have a good lineup," Beltran said. "We have guys from top to bottom that can do the job."
Shelby Miller (1-0), who made just his second career start, tossed 5 1/3 solid innings, giving up two runs and four walks on four hits while striking out four in the victory.
Hunter Pence and Pablo Sandoval each hit solo home runs for the Giants, who saw starter Ryan Vogelsong (0-1) allow five runs on nine hits and strike out six over 5 1/3 innings.
San Francisco's first four starters of the season had combined to give up just two unearned runs and 12 hits over 26 innings, but Vogelsong broke the earned run streak in the first inning alone.
The Giants took the first game of the series on Friday, 1-0.
With two outs in the fifth and St. Louis trailing 2-1, Holliday singled to left scoring Kozma. Allen Craig then reached on an infield single which moved runners to second and third.
Beltran then capped the three-run inning when he hit a line drive through the hole to right field, plating both runners for a 4-2 advantage.
Daniel Descalso helped add to the lead by opening up the sixth with a single and a stolen base. Kozma followed with a single to left which scored Descalso and made it 5-2.
Sandoval led off the eighth with a solo shot to dead center off of Edward Mujica.
Carpenter plated Shane Robinson in the bottom of the frame to provide some insurance before St. Louis reliever Mitchell Boggs secured the win in the ninth with his first save of the season.
"We're not quite clicking offensively, but we stayed in the game and had a good couple chances there," San Francisco manager Bruce Bochy said. "You always go with the history and track record of these guys. They're getting into the flow of things."
Beltran singled to right field in the first scoring Carpenter to make it 1-0 in the first. Pence added his solo blast to center in the second to put the Giants on the board. Sandoval made it 2-1 in the third with a single up the middle scoring Angel Pagan.
The 1976 Milwaukee Brewers were the last MLB team with a longer earned run streak. That team saw its starters go 31 2/3 innings before giving up an earned score ... Vogelsong was 14-9 with a 3.37 ERA last season ... San Francisco catcher Buster Posey was honored prior to the game for his 2012 NL MVP award.
- ST. LOUIS: 6
SAN FRANCISCO: 3
Apr 6 7:07 PM
- Matt Carpenter single to right scored Shane Robinson with one out. Runner on first with one out and Matt Holliday due up.
Cardinals 6, Giants 3 Top 9, 1 OutApr 6 6:56 PM
- Pablo Sandoval lead-off Home Run (2) to center. Buster Posey due up.
Cardinals 5, Giants 3 Bot 8, 0 OutsApr 6 6:41 PM
- Pete Kozma single to left scored Daniel Descalso with none out. Runner on first with none out and Shelby Miller due up.
Cardinals 5, Giants 2 Top 6, 0 OutsApr 6 5:56 PM
- Carlos Beltran single to right scored Matt Carpenter and Matt Holliday with two out. On the play, Allen Craig advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Yadier Molina due up.
Cardinals 4, Giants 2 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 6 5:41 PM
- Matt Holliday single to left scored Pete Kozma with two out. On the play, Matt Carpenter advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Allen Craig due up.
Cardinals 2, Giants 2 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 6 5:36 PM
- Pablo Sandoval single to center scored Angel Pagan with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Buster Posey due up.
Cardinals 1, Giants 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 6 5:09 PM
- Hunter Pence lead-off Home Run (2) to center. Brandon Belt due up.
Cardinals 1, Giants 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsApr 6 4:43 PM
- Carlos Beltran single to right scored Matt Carpenter with two out. On the play, Allen Craig advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Yadier Molina due up.
Cardinals 1, Giants 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 6 4:23 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 6 4:09 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21