Pence's homer sparks Giants over RockiesApr 9, 2013 - 6:54 AM
Buster Posey drove in the other run while Pablo Sandoval added two hits and a run scored for the Giants, who stopped a two-game slide. Madison Bumgarner (2-0) gave up two runs on five hits with five walks and five strikeouts in 5 2/3 innings.
"He's got some of the most power I've ever seen," Posey said of Pence. "I get to hit with him in batting practice every day, and I try to make sure I hit before him so I don't have to follow up his moonshots."
Carlos Gonzalez hit a solo home run while Chris Nelson drove in a run for the Rockies, who had a five-game winning streak snapped. Jorge De La Rosa (0-1) gave up three runs on six hits with a walk and three strikeouts over six innings of work.
The Giants jumped out on top on the first inning. Marco Scutaro and Sandoval hit one-out singles, but Posey then struck out. Pence, though, slammed a pitch over the wall in left for his third home run of the season and a 3-0 lead.
"It was supposed to be away," De La Rosa said of his pitch to Pence. "That one cut a little bit to the middle. He hit it very good. ... That's a mistake from me. I paid for it."
Gonzalez hit a solo home run in the third inning to cut the Rockies deficit to two.
In the sixth, Colorado made it a one-run game. With one out, Michael Cuddyer singled to center and stole second after Josh Rutledge struck out. Nelson then punched a single to left to plate Cuddyer.
The Giants gave themselves and insurance run in the eighth when Posey singled in Angel Pagan, who had reached base on an infield single and had stolen second.
Sergio Romo gave up a leadoff double to Rutledge in the ninth, but struck out the next three batters to pick up his fourth save of the season.
San Francisco won 14 of the 18 games with Colorado last season ... Colorado went 1-for-9 with runners in scoring position and stranded seven ... Tim Lincecum pitches for San Francisco on Tuesday while Juan Nicasio takes the mound for the Rockies.
- COLORADO: 2
SAN FRANCISCO: 4
Apr 9 1:09 AM
- Buster Posey single to right scored Angel Pagan with two out. On the play, Pablo Sandoval advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Hunter Pence due up.
Rockies 2, Giants 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 9 12:52 AM
- Chris Nelson single to left scored Michael Cuddyer with two out, on the play Chris Nelson advances to second on Andres Torres fielding error. Runner on second with two outs and Yorvit Torrealba due up.
Rockies 2, Giants 3 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 9 12:06 AM
- Carlos Gonzalez two-out, solo Home Run (3) to right center. Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Rockies 1, Giants 3 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 8 11:05 PM
- Hunter Pence two-out, three-run Home Run (3) to left scored Marco Scutaro and Pablo Sandoval. Brandon Belt due up.
Rockies 0, Giants 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 8 10:31 PM
- COLORADO: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 8 10:16 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21