Giants rally in eighth to down RockiesApr 10, 2013 - 7:37 AM
Brandon Crawford hit a three-run home run and scored twice while Hunter Pence drove in a pair of runs for the Giants, who have taken the first two games of this series.
Tim Lincecum was tagged for six runs on four hits with four walks and seven strikeouts over six innings of work. Santiago Casilla (1-0) pitched a perfect eighth for the win.
"You got to feel good after the team wins," said Lincecum. "Especially coming back from the hole I put them in there in that second inning."
Dexter Fowler and Josh Rutledge each drove in a pair of runs while Troy Tulowitzki hit a solo homer for the Rockies, who had won five straight coming into the series.
"They won a championship playing like that," said Colorado manager Walt Weiss. "They string together a lot of good at-bats."
Juan Nicasio pitched five-plus innings and was charged with four runs on five hits along with five walks and two strikeouts. Matt Belisle (0-1) gave up two runs on three hits over 1 2/3 innings to take the loss.
Trailing by four runs, San Francisco rallied in the sixth to tie the game.
The first two batters of the inning walked to chase Nicasio from the game. Adam Ottavino took the mound and a wild pitch moved the runners up before Crawford launched a pitch over the left field wall. Nick Noonan and Pagan singled before a sac bunt from Marco Scutaro moved the runners up a base.
After Pablo Sandoval was issued an intentional walk, Belisle came on the mound to face Pence, who greeted him with a single to score Noonan and make it a 6-6 game. Brandon Belt then hit into a double play to end the inning.
Jose Mijares stranded a man on second in the top of the seventh, but the Giants were set down in order in the bottom of the frame.
Casilla then worked a 1-2-3 eighth and the Giants went ahead in the bottom of the frame.
Andres Torres led off with a pinch-hit double and quickly came home when Pagan hit a single back up the middle. Run-scoring hits from Sandoval and Gregor Blanco made it a 9-6 game.
Sergio Romo set the Rockies down in order in the ninth for his fifth save of the season.
The Giants went on top in the first inning when Pence singled home Pagan, but the Rockies plated five runners in the second.
Tulowitzki walked to start the frame and moved to third as Michael Cuddyer reached base on a bad throw by Scutaro. Todd Helton then grounded out to score Tulowitzki.
Willin Rosario then walked and, after Chris Nelson struck out, Nicasio walked to load the bases. Fowler followed with a two-run double and Rutledge hit a two-run single for a 5-1 lead.
Scutaro atoned for the error with an RBI single in the second to get a run back for the Giants.
Tulowitzki, though, hit a blast over the wall in left in the fifth inning for a 6-2 advantage.
The Giants totaled 14 hits in the game while Colorado managed just four ... San Francisco went 7-for-17 with runners in scoring position ... The Giants have won eight straight over the Rockies ... Jeff Francis will be on the mound to help the Rockies avoid the sweep, while Barry Zito will pitch for the Giants in Wednesday's finale.
- COLORADO: 6
SAN FRANCISCO: 9
Apr 10 1:27 AM
- Gregor Blanco bunt single to pitcher scored Marco Scutaro with two outs. On the play, Brandon Belt advances to second. Runners on first and second and Hector Sanchez due up.
Rockies 6, Giants 9 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 10 1:15 AM
- Pablo Sandoval single to right scored Angel Pagan with none out. On the play, Marco Scutaro advances to second. Runners on first and second and Hunter Pence due up.
Rockies 6, Giants 8 Bot 8, 0 OutsApr 10 1:10 AM
- Angel Pagan single to center scored Andres Torres with none out. Runner on first and Marco Scutaro due up.
Rockies 6, Giants 7 Bot 8, 0 OutsApr 10 1:01 AM
- Hunter Pence single to right scored Nick Noonan with one out. On the play, Pablo Sandoval advances to second and Angel Pagan advances to third. Bases loaded and Brandon Belt due up.
Rockies 6, Giants 6 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 10 12:26 AM
- Brandon Crawford none-out, three-run Home Run (1) to left scored Gregor Blanco and Hector Sanchez. Tim Lincecum due up.
Rockies 6, Giants 5 Bot 6, 0 OutsApr 10 12:16 AM
- Troy Tulowitzki two-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Michael Cuddyer due up.
Rockies 6, Giants 2 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 9 11:46 PM
- Marco Scutaro single to left scored Brandon Crawford with two out. Runner on first and Pablo Sandoval due up.
Rockies 5, Giants 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 9 11:05 PM
- Josh Rutledge single to center scored Juan Nicasio and Dexter Fowler with two out. Runner on first and Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Rockies 5, Giants 1 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 9 10:53 PM
- Dexter Fowler double to right scored Michael Cuddyer and Wilin Rosario with two out. On the play, Juan Nicasio advances to third. Runners on second and third and Josh Rutledge due up.
Rockies 3, Giants 1 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 9 10:51 PM
- Todd Helton ground out short to first scored Troy Tulowitzki with one out. On the play, Michael Cuddyer advances to second. Runner on second and Wilin Rosario due up.
Rockies 1, Giants 1 Top 2, 1 OutApr 9 10:44 PM
- Hunter Pence infield single to second scored Angel Pagan with one out. On the play, Marco Scutaro advances to third. Runners on first and third and Brandon Belt due up.
Rockies 0, Giants 1 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 9 10:28 PM
- COLORADO: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 9 10:15 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21