Giants top Cubs in 10 inningsApr 15, 2013 - 3:34 AM
"It's a great feeling, but I am just grateful for the team. That's what we're here for. We're out here battling for each other, so it just feels good to help the team out," Pence said.
After allowing the game-tying home run to Pence, Cubs reliever Shawn Camp (0-1) balked in the decisive run with no outs in the 10th. Camp allowed four runs and five hits in 1 2/3 innings.
Pence went 3-for-4 with two runs and a stolen base for the Giants, who remain atop the NL West standings with the win. Gregor Blanco and Nick Noonan each contributed two RBI.
Starlin Castro had three hits to pace Chicago, including his second home run of the season off Giants starter Tim Lincecum, who allowed four runs and struck out four in five innings.
Alberto Gonzalez and former Giant Nate Schierholtz also went deep for the Cubs.
Chicago pitchers combined for five wild pitches in the sixth inning, breaking the MLB regular season record.
Leading 4-1 in the sixth, Cubs starter Edwin Jackson walked Pence and Brandon Belt and allowed an RBI double to Blanco. Jackson then walked Brandon Crawford with the bases loaded and was replaced with Michael Bowden, who gave up the two-run single from Noonan which gave the Giants a 5-4 lead. Jackson was charged with two wild pitches in the frame while Bowden threw three.
San Fran tacked on an insurance run in the seventh on Blanco's second RBI double of the afternoon.
Alberto Gonzalez brought the Cubs deficit to one with his seventh-inning home run, his first since 2011 with the Padres. He added his second RBI on a sacrifice fly, part of a two-run eighth inning for Chicago, to put the Cubs ahead heading into the ninth.
Trailing 1-0 in the bottom of the opening frame, Castro and Schierholtz each cranked two-run home runs to give the Cubs an early advantage, which they were unable to maintain.
"To have the lead like that, and give it up because of walks, then battle back and take the lead and have a chance to put the game away and obviously lose the game was disappointing. It was as tough as any of them so far," Cubs manager Dale Sveum said.
Pablo Sandoval extended his hitting streak to eight games ... Buster Posey, who was given the day off, entered as part of a double switch in the ninth inning and hit an RBI-single in the 10th ... Jackson allowed five earned runs and four walks in 5 1/3 innings ... Chicago hit 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position ... A total of 13 pitchers were used.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 10
Apr 14 6:25 PM
- Marco Scutaro double to left scored Angel Pagan with two out. Runner on second and Pablo Sandoval due up.
Giants 10, Cubs 7 Top 10, 2 OutsApr 14 6:15 PM
- Buster Posey single to center scored Brandon Crawford with one out. Runner on first and Angel Pagan due up.
Giants 9, Cubs 7 Top 10, 1 OutApr 14 6:11 PM
- Hector Sanchez scored on a balk with one out. On the play, Brandon Crawford advances to second. Runner on second with one out and Buster Posey at the plate.
Giants 8, Cubs 7 Top 10, 1 OutApr 14 6:10 PM
- Hunter Pence two-out, solo Home Run (4) to center. Brandon Belt due up.
Giants 7, Cubs 7 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 14 5:43 PM
- Alberto Gonzalez sacrifice fly out to left scored Alfonso Soriano with two out. Runners on first and second and Carlos Marmol due up.
Giants 6, Cubs 7 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 14 5:30 PM
- Luis Valbuena walked Anthony Rizzo scored on the play with one out. Bases loaded and Alberto Gonzalez due up.
Giants 6, Cubs 6 Bot 8, 1 OutApr 14 5:25 PM
- Alberto Gonzalez one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Hector Rondon due up.
Giants 6, Cubs 5 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 14 5:00 PM
- Gregor Blanco double to left scored Brandon Belt with two out. Runner on second and Hector Sanchez due up.
Giants 6, Cubs 4 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 14 4:50 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Nick Noonan single to left scored Gregor Blanco and Brandon Crawford with one out. Runner on first and Angel Pagan due up.
Giants 5, Cubs 4 Top 6, 1 OutApr 14 4:28 PM
- Brandon Belt scored on a wild pitch with one out. On the play, Gregor Blanco advances to third on a wild pitch. Runner on third and Brandon Crawford at the plate.
Giants 3, Cubs 4 Top 6, 1 OutApr 14 4:23 PM
- Gregor Blanco double to right scored Hunter Pence with none out. On the play, Brandon Belt advances to third. Runners on second and third and Hector Sanchez due up.
Giants 2, Cubs 4 Top 6, 0 OutsApr 14 4:14 PM
- Nate Schierholtz one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to right scored Alfonso Soriano. Dioner Navarro due up.
Giants 1, Cubs 4 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 14 2:52 PM
- Starlin Castro none-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored David DeJesus. Anthony Rizzo due up.
Giants 1, Cubs 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsApr 14 2:48 PM
- Pablo Sandoval scored on Dioner Navarro passed ball with two out. On the play, Brandon Belt advances to second and Hunter Pence advances to third. Runners on second and third and and Gregor Blanco at the plate.
Giants 1, Cubs 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 14 2:43 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 14 2:25 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Cubs RF Jason Heyward out 3-5 games with side bruise May 21
- Giants shut down by Arrieta in 8-1 loss to Cubs May 21
- Arrieta wins 19th straight decision as Cubs beat Giants 8-1 May 21
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 21