Betancourt's grand slam lifts BrewersApr 17, 2013 - 4:55 AM
Carlos Gomez and Norichika Aoki each knocked solo shots while Rickie Weeks and Jonathan Lucroy had two RBI apiece for the Brewers, who snapped a three-game losing streak on Sunday with a win over the Cardinals in extra innings.
Brewers starter Wily Peralta lasted just four innings, giving up six runs -- five earned -- on seven hits and three walks. Brandon Kintzler (2-0) earned the win for Milwaukee. Jim Henderson allowed one run on two hits in the ninth but picked up his second save of the season.
"It feels pretty good to battle Zito, to make him work," said Lucroy. "Peralta had to battle ... they're a good team and they can really hit. I think Peralta was trying to do a little too much. He wasn't sharp but he held them down."
Barry Zito (2-1) was battered, surrendering nine runs in 2 2/3 innings. Prior to the game, he hadn't allowed a run in 14 innings this season and won 11 straight games dating back to last season, including the playoffs.
"Baseball is kind of a strange game," said Zito. "I felt better in this game that I did in the first two games. I have to tip my hat to them."
Pablo Sandoval drove in four runs and Brandon Crawford had a solo home run for the Giants, who came into the game having won six of their last seven games.
Gomez homered with one out in the second, giving the Brewers the first score of the night.
The Giants answered in the third, with Angel Pagan knocking a one-out single to center, plating Crawford, who reached first on a leadoff infield single and advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt by Zito. Marco Scutaro grounded into a fielder's choice to third base but was still able to reach first thanks to a throwing error by Alex Gonzalez. Sandoval was next to bat with runners on first and third, and he hit a double deep into center field, scoring both Pagan and Scutaro.
Peralta singled to leadoff the bottom of the inning. Aoki was hit by a pitch and Jean Segura had an infield single to load the bases. Weeks then knocked a ground-rule double, bringing Peralta and Aoki home. Lucroy followed with a single, scoring Segura and Weeks. Alex Gonzalez and Carlos Gomez both singled, loading the bases and setting up Betancourt's homer.
Crawford homered with two outs in the fourth to cut the deficit to 9-4.
The Giants tacked on another two runs in the fifth. After an infield single by Pagan and a walk for Scuatro, Sandoval singled to bring Pagan home. Three batters later, Brandon Belt hit a sacrifice fly, plating Scutaro.
Sandoval also hit a sacrifice fly in the sixth, plating Nick Noonan, who reached on a one-out single and the Giants were within two, 9-7.
Aoki homered with one out in the eighth to give the Brewers a three-run lead.
Henderson came to pitch in the ninth. He allowed a leadoff double by Buster Posey. After striking out Hunter Pence, he allowed a single by Belt, scoring Posey. Belt then advanced to second on a defensive indifference with two outs, however, Andres Torres flew out to right to end the game.
Belt had two RBI and a stolen base ... Sandoval has 14 RBI this season ... The Brewers were 5-for-8 with runners in scoring position while the Giants were 5- for-13 ... San Francisco left nine runners on base ... Zito had not faced the Brewers since May 23, 2012, when he allowed eight runs -- four earned -- in three innings.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 8
Apr 16 11:49 PM
- Brandon Belt singled to center scoring Buster Posey with one out. Runner on first and Gregor Blanco due up.
Giants 8, Brewers 10 Top 9, 1 OutApr 16 11:44 PM
- Norichika Aoki one-out, solo Home Run (2) to right. Jean Segura due up.
Giants 7, Brewers 10 Bot 8, 1 OutApr 16 11:33 PM
- Pablo Sandoval sacrifice fly to left scored Nick Noonan with two out. Runners on first and second and Buster Posey due up.
Giants 7, Brewers 9 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 16 10:38 PM
- Brandon Belt sacrifice fly to left scored Marco Scutaro with two out. On the play, Pablo Sandoval advances to third. Runners on first and third and Gregor Blanco due up.
Giants 6, Brewers 9 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 16 10:09 PM
- Pablo Sandoval singled to left scoring Angel Pagan with none out. On the play, Marco Scutaro advances to third. Runners on first and third and Buster Posey due up.
Giants 5, Brewers 9 Top 5, 0 OutsApr 16 9:54 PM
- Brandon Crawford two-out, solo Home Run (2) to right center. Chad Gaudin due up.
Giants 4, Brewers 9 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 16 9:34 PM
- Yuniesky Betancourt one-out, Grand Slam (1) to left scored Jonathan Lucroy, Alex Gonzalez and Carlos Gomez. Wily Peralta due up.
Giants 3, Brewers 9 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 16 9:22 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy singled to center scoring Jean Segura and Rickie Weeks with one out. Runner on first and Alex Gonzalez due up.
Giants 3, Brewers 5 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 16 9:17 PM
- Rickie Weeks ground-rule-double to left scored Wily Peralta and Norichika Aoki with one out. On the play, Jean Segura advances to third. Runners on second and third and Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Giants 3, Brewers 3 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 16 9:15 PM
- Pablo Sandoval doubled to center scoring Angel Pagan and Marco Scutaro with one out. Runner on second and Buster Posey due up.
Giants 3, Brewers 1 Top 3, 1 OutApr 16 8:59 PM
- Angel Pagan singled to center scoring Brandon Crawford with one out. Runner on first and Marco Scutaro due up.
Giants 1, Brewers 1 Top 3, 1 OutApr 16 8:50 PM
- Carlos Gomez two-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Yuniesky Betancourt due up.
Giants 0, Brewers 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 16 8:41 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 16 8:11 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21