Pagan lifts Giants over PadresApr 20, 2013 - 7:16 AM San Francisco, CA (Sports Network) - Angel Pagan drove in the winning run in the ninth inning to lead the San Francisco Giants in a 3-2 win over the San Diego Padres to open a three-game set on Friday.
In the ninth off Luke Gregerson (1-2), Gregor Blanco led off with a bloop single to left, but Andres Torres' bunt went back to the mound and Gregerson got the force at second. Torres, though, then stole second to get into scoring position and Pagan roped a hit to right for the win.
"You want to get your job done, but I forgot about that (after the hit)," Torres said.
Buster Posey and Hunter Pence each drove in a run for the Giants, who were coming off a three-game sweep at the hands of Milwaukee.
Madison Bumgarner struck out 10 and gave up two runs on four hits over six innings. Santiago Casilla (2-1) pitched 1 1/3 innings without a blemish to get the win.
Chase Headley drove in both runs, including a solo home run, while Chris Denorfia went 2-for-4 with a run scored for the Padres, who came into the series fresh off a three-game sweep of the Dodgers in Los Angeles. Edinson Volquez gave up two runs on eight hits with three walks and three strikeouts over six innings.
"Volky got out of some jams," said Padres manager Bud Black. "I thought the curveball was effective against the lefties and he threw some good changes. But overall, I thought it was better than his first three starts."
San Diego struck in the first inning as Denorifa doubled to leadoff, moved to third on Everth Cabrera's sacrifice and came home on a sac fly from Headley.
San Fran got it back in the home half as Pagan singled to start the frame, took second on a walk pitch and later, after a walk from Marco Scutaro and groundout by Pablo Sandoval, scored on a Posey sac fly.
In the third, the Giants went on top after Posey walked with two outs and scored when Pence followed with a double to the corner in left field.
Headley, though, tied the game with a swing of the bat as his first home run of the year came with two outs in the sixth.
San Fran, which had runners on base each inning, put its first two men on base to start the sixth. Bumgarner then hit a grounder to short that Cabrera fielded and quickly applied the tag to Brandon Belt. He then went to second for the force out and Jedd Gyorko one-hopped the ball to first. The ball got past Yonder Alonso, but Bumgarner had the throw beat to prevent a triple play. Pagan grounded out to end the inning.
San Francisco took 12 of 18 games against San Diego last season ... San Fran went just 1-for-9 with runners in scoring position and stranded nine men on base ... San Francisco pitchers recorded 14 strikeouts in the game.
- SAN DIEGO: 2
SAN FRANCISCO: 3
Apr 20 1:18 AM
- Angel Pagan double to right scored Andres Torres with one out to win the game.
Padres 2, Giants 3 Bot 9, 1 OutApr 20 1:16 AM
- Chase Headley two-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Jesus Guzman due up.
Padres 2, Giants 2 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 20 12:10 AM
- Hunter Pence double to left scored Buster Posey with two outs. Runner on second and Brandon Crawford due up.
Padres 1, Giants 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 19 11:17 PM
- Buster Posey sacrifice fly to center scored Angel Pagan with two outs. Runner on second and Hunter Pence due up.
Padres 1, Giants 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 19 10:41 PM
- Chase Headley sacrifice fly to center scored Chris Denorfia with two outs. None on and Jesus Guzman due up.
Padres 1, Giants 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 19 10:22 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 19 10:16 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21