Phillips' sac fly in 13th sends Reds to win over MarlinsApr 20, 2013 - 11:01 PM
Shin-Soo Choo led off the 13th with a slicing ground-rule double down the left-field line off Steve Cishek (1-2). Choo advanced to third on pinch-hitter Cesar Izturis' flyout to center. Joey Votto was intentionally walked before Phillips lifted a fly ball to center to bring home Choo.
"That was a big get-'em-over Izturis had, huge. Brandon did what he's supposed to do," Reds manager Dusty Baker said.
Votto had a solo homer among his four hits and two RBI, while Choo added three hits and three walks for Cincinnati, which has won five of its last six contests on the heels of a five-game skid.
Alfredo Simon (1-1) spun a 1-2-3 top half of the 13th to pick up the win.
The Reds were 1-for-12 with runners in scoring position and left 17 men on base.
Miguel Olivo tallied two hits and a run scored for the Marlins, who have dropped five of their last seven tilts.
"It is the same old story. We couldn't get the big hit," Miami manager Mike Redmond said.
Cincinnati opened the scoring with a run apiece in the third and fourth frames. Votto led off the third and ripped a homer to right, and grounded a two-out, RBI single into the hole on the right side in the fourth to make it 2-0.
Miami, though, knotted the contest after plating two in the fifth. Olivo doubled and Donovan Solano singled to begin the inning before Olivo came home on pinch-hitter Joe Mahoney's first career hit, a single up the middle. Placido Polanco's double to left two batter later brought home Solano to tie it.
Votto's homer was his first at Great American Ball Park since June 24 ... Reds starter Bronson Arroyo surrendered two runs on six hits and a walk over eight innings.
- MIAMI: 2
Apr 20 5:20 PM
- Placido Polanco doubled to left scoring Donovan Solano with two out. Runner on second and Giancarlo Stanton due up.
Marlins 2, Reds 2 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 20 2:46 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Joe Mahoney singled to center scoring Miguel Olivo with none out. On the play, Donovan Solano advances to second. Runners on first and second with Juan Pierre due up.
Marlins 1, Reds 2 Top 5, 0 OutsApr 20 2:44 PM
- Joey Votto singled to right scoring Devin Mesoraco with two out. On the play, Zack Cozart advances to third. Runners on first and third with Brandon Phillips due up.
Marlins 0, Reds 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 20 2:32 PM
- Joey Votto lead-off Home Run (2) to right. Brandon Phillips due up.
Marlins 0, Reds 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsApr 20 2:01 PM
- MIAMI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 20 1:10 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21