Seventh inning burst carries Reds over MarlinsApr 21, 2013 - 11:54 PM
The outburst broke up what had been a close game.
The first six Cincinnati batters reached base in the fateful frame, with Brandon Phillips' RBI single off Jon Rauch snapping a 2-2 tie. A second runner came home when right fielder Giancarlo Stanton bobbled the ball.
Rauch had replaced Alex Sanabia (2-2) after the Reds loaded the bases against the starting pitcher.
After Jay Bruce worked a walk to reload the bases, Devin Mesoraco singled home Joey Votto, who had opened the scoring with a two-out, solo homer in the first inning.
Frazier later cleared the bases with his two-out liner off the top of the right-field wall. Shin-Soo Choo and Xavier Paul followed with back-to-back RBI doubles to cap the barrage.
The Marlins put up a four-spot in the ninth against Manny Parra. Stanton knocked in his first run of the season with a single and a pinch-hitting Miguel Olivo launched a three-run homer.
The Reds won for the sixth time in their last seven games.
Cincinnati starter Homer Bailey struck out eight and walked three over six innings. He gave up seven hits, including a pair of RBI singles by Chris Valaika.
"That's what we expect out of these guys," Mesoraco said about the pitching staff. "They showed last year that they'll put up quality starts, bullpen will come in and do its job."
Miami tied the game in the second, but the Reds moved back in front in the third. Bailey and Choo each singled to begin the inning and Votto stroked a one-out base hit to center field. At first, Bailey held at third base, but a misplay by Justin Ruggiano allowed him to score the go-ahead run.
Bailey struggled to find the strike zone in the fourth as he walked the bases loaded. However, he escaped the jam by fanning Donovan Solano on three pitches.
The Marlins got to Bailey in the sixth when Valaika drove in Rob Brantly, who had led off with a double.
Logan Ondrusek (1-0) struck out the side in the top of the seventh for Cincinnati.
"Right now we're not swinging the bats well enough to overcome our mistakes," said Marlins manager Mike Redmond.
Votto homered in consecutive games for the first time since Sept. 10-11, 2011 at Colorado ... Choo was hit twice by pitches Sunday. He tied a club record for the most HBP in one month with nine (Mike Donlin in May 1903) ... Sanabia suffered his first loss in 13 career road games, including 10 starts ... Reds pitchers have compiled at least 10 strikeouts in four straight games for the first time since May 23-27, 2008 ... The Reds placed catcher Ryan Hanigan on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left oblique and selected the contract of catcher Corky Miller from Triple-A Louisville. To make room on the 40-man roster for Miller, the club transferred pitcher Nick Masset to the 60- day DL.
- MIAMI: 6
Apr 21 4:26 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Miguel Olivo two-out, three-run Home Run (1) to left scored Donovan Solano and Giancarlo Stanton. Justin Ruggiano due up.
Marlins 6, Reds 10 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 21 4:26 PM
- Giancarlo Stanton singled in Austin Kearns with two outs. On the play, Donovan Solano advances to third. Runners on first and third with Tom Koehler due up.
Marlins 3, Reds 10 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 21 4:22 PM
- Xavier Paul doubled in Shin-Soo Choo with two outs. Runner on second with Joey Votto due up.
Marlins 2, Reds 10 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 21 3:59 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo doubled in Todd Frazier with two outs. Runner on second with Xavier Paul due up.
Marlins 2, Reds 9 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 21 3:51 PM
- Todd Frazier doubled to right scored Brandon Phillips, Jay Bruce and Devin Mesoraco. Runner on second with two outs and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Marlins 2, Reds 8 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 21 3:49 PM
- Devin Mesoraco singled in Joey Votto with none out. On the play, Jay Bruce advances to second and Brandon Phillips advances to third. Bases loaded with Logan Ondrusek due up.
Marlins 2, Reds 5 Bot 7, 0 OutsApr 21 3:42 PM
- Brandon Phillips singled in Shin-Soo Choo. On the play, Joey Votto advances to second and Xavier Paul scored on Giancarlo Stanton's fielding error with none out. Runners on first and second with Jay Bruce due up.
Marlins 2, Reds 4 Bot 7, 0 OutsApr 21 3:35 PM
- Chris Valaika singled in Rob Brantly. Runner on first with Alex Sanabia due up.
Marlins 2, Reds 2 Top 6, 1 OutApr 21 2:54 PM
- Joey Votto singled in Homer Bailey. On the play, Shin-Soo Choo advances to third. Runners on first and third with Brandon Phillips due up.
Marlins 1, Reds 2 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 21 2:08 PM
- Chris Valaika singled in Rob Brantly with one out. On the play, Nick Green advances to second. Runners on first and second with Alex Sanabia due up.
Marlins 1, Reds 1 Top 2, 1 OutApr 21 1:37 PM
- Joey Votto two-out, solo Home Run (3) to right. Brandon Phillips due up.
Marlins 0, Reds 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 21 1:25 PM
- MIAMI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 21 1:11 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21