Diamondbacks edge Giants in extras againApr 25, 2013 - 1:18 AM
Gerardo Parra scored one run and had an RBI, Didi Gregorius had two doubles and a run scored and A.J. Pollock drove in a run for the Diamondbacks, who have won two straight.
"Just hit a fly ball to the outfield and get one run and I stuck with the plan and it worked," Nieves said.
Ian Kennedy, who was trying for a sixth straight win versus the Giants, gave up just four hits and one run over six frames. He also walked two and fanned four. David Hernandez (1-1) earned the win despite blowing a save in the ninth.
Brandon Crawford tied the game at 2-2 in the bottom of the ninth with a solo shot to right and finished with three hits and two RBI. Chad Gaudin (0-1) absorbed the loss.
"Hernandez throws 95, so obviously I had to be ready for the fastball," Crawford said. "Just got the barrel out there for the slider."
San Francisco starter Madison Bumgarner tossed 7 1/3 innings, allowed just one run on five hits and fanned seven. The Giants, though, couldn't come through in extras once again, just one day after falling to the Diamondbacks in 11 innings.
Paul Goldschmidt walked with one down in the top of the 10th and Cody Ross followed with a double to put runners in scoring position. Miguel Montero was then intentionally walked to load the bases. Javier Lopez took the hill for the Giants and Nieves came through with a sac fly to center to score Goldschmidt for the eventual game-winning run.
Trailing 2-1 with one out the bottom of the ninth, Crawford took Hernandez's breaking ball down the right-field line and over the wall to tie the game in clutch fashion.
"You don't want to throw a breaking ball down and in to a left-hander in this park or any park, and the count was even in his favor," Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said. "That's not where he was trying to throw it. To be fair to our pitchers, the Giants made a few mistakes, too, their pitchers. That's just the game of baseball."
Jose Mijares retired the first two batters he faced in the top of the ninth. Gregorius, though, kept the inning alive with a bloop to center and his hustle paid off, as San Francisco center fielder Angel Pagan's throw was off the mark.
Cliff Pennington was intentionally walked, but Parra hit a slicing soft-liner that went just over Crawford's glove at short and into the outfield to easily score Gregorius and make it 2-1.
It was a pitching duel through the first six innings, as both teams combined for just five hits.
In the seventh, however, San Francisco doubled its hit total. Gregor Blanco led off the frame with a single through the right side. Crawford then ended Kennedy's afternoon with a double to deep center, scoring Blanco to give the hosts a 1-0 lead.
Arizona didn't go down quietly, and struck back in the eighth. With one down, Eric Hinske pinch-hit for Brad Ziegler and a ripped a ground-rule double to left and Parra replaced him at second base as a pinch-runner. Pollock poked a single to right scoring Parra to knot the game at 1-1.
Bumgarner still hasn't allowed more than two runs in any of his five outings this season ... Arizona's Matt Reynolds worked around a two-out double in the ninth to secure his second save of the season ... San Francisco was 0-for-10 with runners in scoring position and left 10 runners on base.
- ARIZONA: 3
SAN FRANCISCO: 2
Apr 24 7:25 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Wil Nieves sacrifice fly to center scored Paul Goldschmidt with two out. On the play, Miguel Montero advances to second and Cody Ross advances to third. Runners on second and third and Didi Gregorius due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Giants 2 Top 10, 2 OutsApr 24 7:13 PM
- Brandon Crawford one-out, solo Home Run (4) to right. Guillermo Quiroz due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Giants 2 Bot 9, 1 OutApr 24 6:47 PM
- Gerardo Parra singled to left scoring Didi Gregorius with two out. On the play, Cliff Pennington advances to third. Runners on first and third and A.J. Pollock due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Giants 1 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 24 6:38 PM
- A.J. Pollock singled to right scoring Gerardo Parra with one out. Runner on first and Martin Prado due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Giants 1 Top 8, 1 OutApr 24 6:08 PM
- Brandon Crawford doubled to center scoring Gregor Blanco with none out. Runner on second and Guillermo Quiroz due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Giants 1 Bot 7, 0 OutsApr 24 5:54 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 24 3:46 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21