Cashner shines as Padres edge GiantsApr 27, 2013 - 6:08 AM
Cashner (1-1) held the Giants to one run on five hits while striking out five over six strong innings in his second start of the season, and added a single and a stolen base while scoring a key run that helped the Padres to a second straight win following a five-game skid.
Carlos Quentin and Yonder Alonso each came through with RBI singles for San Diego, while Huston Street stranded a pair of Giants in the ninth to close out the contest.
San Francisco, which entered the set off back-to-back extra-inning defeats to Arizona, was dealt a third straight narrow loss despite a solid showing from Tim Lincecum (2-1). The two-time NL Cy Young winner yielded two runs while fanning nine batters over seven frames in a hard-luck outcome.
"I thought he threw the ball well," said Giants manager Bruce Bochy. "He left a couple pitches up, but I'll take that outing any time."
Angel Pagan, Buster Posey and Brandon Belt all collected two hits for the Giants, who went 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position.
Cashner struggled early on, giving up a single to Pagan to begin the game that led to a run after the Giants' leadoff man stole second, moved to third on a ground out and came home on the right-hander's wild pitch. He ran into jams over the next two innings as well but escaped unscathed, then found a groove over the remainder of his stint.
San Francisco didn't have a runner reach base over Cashner's final three innings of work, with the Padres' starter setting down the last 12 batters he faced.
"I thought I was struggling a little bit there at the beginning of the game," said Cashner. "But I finally settled in and started making pitches."
He also helped his own cause by leading off the bottom of the third with a sharp single to center and beat Posey's throw to second after being sent in motion on an eventual strikeout by Will Venable.
The Padres then ripped off three consecutive singles against Lincecum, with Quentin and Alonso capping the sequence with back-to-back base hits that put San Diego in front.
San Francisco also went down in order in the seventh and eighth against relievers Joe Thatcher, Dale Thayer and Luke Gregerson, but threatened when Street came on in the ninth after singles by Posey and Belt put the tying run to third with two out.
Street got Brandon Crawford to bounce into a fielder's choice, however, to end the game.
The Padres won for only the fourth time in their last 18 matchups with San Francisco, which swept a three-game set between the teams at AT&T Park earlier this month ... Cashner's hit was only his second in 12 career major league at- bats ... Posey extended his hitting streak to seven games and is batting .409 (9-for-22) over that stretch.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 1
SAN DIEGO: 2
Apr 27 12:30 AM
- Yonder Alonso singled to right scored Chase Headley. On the play, Carlos Quentin advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Chris Denorfia due up.
Giants 1, Padres 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 26 11:09 PM
- Carlos Quentin singled to left scored Andrew Cashner. On the play, Chase Headley advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Yonder Alonso due up.
Giants 1, Padres 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 26 11:07 PM
- Andrew Cashner wild pitch scored Angel Pagan. None on with one out and Pablo Sandoval at the plate.
Giants 1, Padres 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 26 10:17 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 26 10:12 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21