Padres win on error in 12thApr 28, 2013 - 7:34 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Marco Scutaro's fielding error allowed the winning run to score in the bottom of the 12th inning, as the San Diego Padres picked up an 8-7 victory over the San Francisco Giants in the middle installment of a three-game set at Petco Park.
Yonder Alonso smacked a one-out double to start the rally before Jedd Gyorko singled to right to put runners on the corners.
Nick Hundley then followed with a sharp grounder to second that Scutaro was unable to handle, allowing Alonso to race home for the winning run.
"Wins like this give you life. They give you an opportunity to build some momentum," Alonso said.
Joe Thatcher (1-0) stranded runners on second and third in the top of the 12th to earn the victory. San Diego starter Eric Stults allowed five runs on four hits over four frames.
Alonso finished with three doubles, two RBI and two runs scored, while Chris Denorfia also plated a pair for the Padres, who have won three straight on the heels of a five-game skid.
Brandon Crawford clubbed a three-run homer and Hunter Pence added a two-run triple for the Giants, who have dropped four straight.
Sergio Romo (1-2) was tagged with the loss after giving up the deciding run in the 12th. Barry Zito made the start for San Francisco and gave up six runs -- one earned -- on six hits over 3 2/3 innings.
"He just couldn't get the last out in the fourth," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said. "He was cruising until then."
Crawford's blast came with two outs in the second, as he launched a first- pitch slider over the right-field wall for a 3-0 lead.
Pablo Sandoval and Buster Posey each doubled home a run in the third to push the lead to 5-0, but the Padres plated six runs in the fourth to jump in front.
Carlos Quentin reached second on Andres Torres' fielding error before Kyle Blanks followed with a single to left. Alonso then scored both runners with a double to center to make it 5-2.
After Hundley worked a two-out walk, pinch-hitter Jesus Guzman smacked an RBI single and Denorfia followed with a two-run double to left to chase Zito.
Chad Gaudin took over on the mound and served up a run-scoring single to Everth Cabrera to give the Padres a 6-5 lead.
Pence's two-run triple in the fifth quickly put the Giants back in front, but Blanks tied the game in the seventh when he scorched a one-out single back up the middle to score Chase Headley, who doubled to start the inning before moving to third on Quentin's fly out.
The Giants went 3-for-7 with runners in scoring position after going 0-for-15 over their last two games ... The Giants have dropped five straight on the road for the first time since May 19-23, 2010 ... Posey extended his hitting streak to eight games ... The Padres committed two errors to snap a string of 11 straight games without a defensive miscue, which was a club record.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 7
SAN DIEGO: 8
Apr 28 1:04 AM
- Nick Hundley reached first on Marco Scutaro's fielding error scored Yonder Alonso with one out to end the game.
Giants 7, Padres 8 Bot 12, 1 OutApr 28 1:01 AM
- Kyle Blanks single to center scored Chase Headley with one out. Runner on first and Yonder Alonso due up.
Giants 7, Padres 7 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 27 11:18 PM
- Hunter Pence double to right scored Marco Scutaro and Buster Posey with two out. Runner on second and Andres Torres due up.
Giants 7, Padres 6 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 27 10:34 PM
- Everth Cabrera single to center scored Chris Denorfia with two out. Runner on first and Chase Headley due up.
Giants 5, Padres 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 27 10:15 PM
- Chris Denorfia double to left scored Nick Hundley and Jesus Guzman with two out. Runner on second and Everth Cabrera due up.
Giants 5, Padres 5 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 27 10:11 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Jesus Guzman single to center scored Yonder Alonso with two out. On the play, Nick Hundley advances to second. Runners on first and second and Chris Denorfia due up.
Giants 5, Padres 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 27 10:06 PM
- Yonder Alonso double to center scored Carlos Quentin and Kyle Blanks with one out. Runner on second and Jedd Gyorko due up.
Giants 5, Padres 2 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 27 9:58 PM
- Buster Posey double to right scored Pablo Sandoval with one out. Runner on second and Hunter Pence due up.
Giants 5, Padres 0 Top 3, 1 OutApr 27 9:31 PM
- Pablo Sandoval double to left. On the play, Angel Pagan advances to home on Carlos Quentin's fielding error with one out. Runner on second and Buster Posey due up.
Giants 4, Padres 0 Top 3, 1 OutApr 27 9:30 PM
- Brandon Crawford two-out, three-run Home Run (5) to right scored Hunter Pence and Brandon Belt. Barry Zito due up.
Giants 3, Padres 0 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 27 9:04 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 27 8:41 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21