Cards nip Brewers in series openerMay 3, 2013 - 4:22 AM
Yadier Molina and David Freese both added two hits and an RBI for the Cardinals, winners in seven of their last 10 games.
Jake Westbrook (2-1) yielded just one run on six hits while striking out four over six innings. Edward Mujica allowed one run, but stranded a runner in the ninth to pick up his seventh save of the season.
"It was exciting to watch the guys celebrate with him," Cardinals manager Mike Matheny said of Westbrook, who picked up with 100th career win.
Ryan Braun and Carlos Gomez both had two hits and drove in a run, while Jean Segura, Martin Maldonado and Alex Gonzalez added one RBI apiece for the Brewers, losers in five of their last eight.
Wily Peralta (2-2) was saddled with the loss after giving up six runs on 11 hits over 4 1/3 innings.
St. Louis scored all six of their runs with two outs in the third inning.
With the bases loaded, Craig ripped a base hit to left field to score Westbrook and Matt Carpenter. Molina and Freese followed with back-to-back RBI base hits, and Kozma capped the inning with a two-run single to left.
"You see some weird things, and it is not always fair. They got a few broken bat hits, but also hit the ball hard and had a few ground balls that just got through," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said. "Peralta made some decent pitches in that third inning, but they got some hits."
Maldonado got the Brewers on the board with an RBI single in the fourth.
Milwaukee added two more in the seventh inning to pull within 6-3. With runners on second and third, Segura lifted a sacrifice fly to right field to score Logan Schafer. Later in the frame, reliever Joe Kelly walked Rickie Weeks to load the bases before issuing a free pass to Carlos Gomez, forcing a run in.
Braun's RBI single in the eighth made it 6-4, and Gonzalez pushed a run across with a two-out base hit in the ninth inning, but Mujica was able to get pinch- hitter Jonathan Lucroy to strike out to end the game.
St. Louis went 5-for-8 with runners in scoring position ... Westbrook hasn't allowed a home run over 33 2/3 innings this season ... Milwaukee lost for just the fifth time this season when scoring at least four runs ... Gomez, who went 2-for-4, extended his hitting streak to nine games ... After the game the Brewers announced third baseman Aramis Ramirez will be reinstated from the 15- day disabled list on Friday. To make room for Ramirez on the active roster, Milwaukee optioned outfielder Josh Prince to Triple-A Nashville.
- ST. LOUIS: 6
May 2 11:31 PM
- Alex Gonzalez singled to center scored Carlos Gomez with two outs. Runner on first and Burke Badenhop due up.
Cardinals 6, Brewers 5 Bot 9, 2 OutsMay 2 11:28 PM
- Ryan Braun singled to center scored Blake Lalli with two outs. On the play, Norichika Aoki advances to third. Runners on first and third and Yuniesky Betancourt due up.
Cardinals 6, Brewers 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 2 11:07 PM
- Carlos Gomez walked. Norichika Aoki scored on the play with two outs. Bases loaded and Martin Maldonado due up.
Cardinals 6, Brewers 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 2 10:46 PM
- Jean Segura sacrifice fly out to right scored Logan Schafer with one out. On the play, Norichika Aoki advances to third. Runner on third and Ryan Braun due up.
Cardinals 6, Brewers 2 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 2 10:30 PM
- Martin Maldonado singled to center scored Rickie Weeks with one out. On the play, Carlos Gomez advances to second. Runners on first and second and Alex Gonzalez due up.
Cardinals 6, Brewers 1 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 2 9:26 PM
- Pete Kozma singled to left scored Yadier Molina and David Freese with two outs. On the play, Jon Jay advances to third and Pete Kozma advances to second on the throw. Runners on second and third and Jake Westbrook due up.
Cardinals 6, Brewers 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 2 9:03 PM
- David Freese singled to center scored Allen Craig with two outs. On the play, Yadier Molina advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jon Jay due up.
Cardinals 4, Brewers 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 2 8:56 PM
- Yadier Molina singled to right scored Matt Holliday with two outs. On the play, Allen Craig advances to third. Runners on first and third and David Freese due up.
Cardinals 3, Brewers 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 2 8:54 PM
- Allen Craig singled to left scored Jake Westbrook and Matt Carpenter with two outs. On the play, Matt Holliday advances to second. Runners on first and second and Yadier Molina due up.
Cardinals 2, Brewers 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 2 8:52 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 2 8:12 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21