Quiroz lifts Giants past Dodgers in extrasMay 5, 2013 - 7:48 AM San Francisco, CA (Sports Network) - Guillermo Quiroz's pinch-hit home run in the 10th inning gave the San Francisco Giants a 10-9 win over the Los Angeles Dodgers in the second of a three-game set.
In the 10th off of Brandon League (0-1), Quiroz pulled an 0-2 splitter deep over the left field wall for the victory.
Andres Torres hit a solo home run, Gregor Blanco drove in three, while Pablo Sandoval finished the game 3-for-4 with an RBI and three runs scored for the Giants, who have won five straight.
Ryan Vogelsong lasted just 4 2/3 innings as he gave up seven runs on nine hits while Santiago Casilla (3-2) got the win for pitching two scoreless innings.
"We definitely battle to the very end every night and that's a great quality to have in a team," Vogelsong said.
A.J. Ellis hit a solo home run while Dee Gordon and Matt Kemp each drove in two runs for the Dodgers, who have dropped three straight and four of five.
Matt Magill was tagged for five runs on six hits in just 1 1/3 innings in the brief start.
Buster Posey's two-run double and an RBI single from Blanco in the first gave the Giants an early 3-0 lead, and it was 5-0 after two innings as a wild pitch scored Marco Scutaro and Blanco's sacrifice fly plated Pablo Sandoval.
Ellis' solo home run in the fourth got the Dodgers on the board, but the Giants got the run back in the bottom of the frame on a run-scoring fielder's choice off the bat of Blanco.
A big fifth inning saw the Dodgers surge ahead. With one out, Kemp got the scoring started with a two-run single and back-to-back singles from Skip Schumaker and Juan Uribe later in the frame each drove in a run.
Jean Machi then took over for Vogelsong and Gordon greeted him with a triple to center to give the Dodgers the lead and it was an 8-6 game as Nick Punto followed with a double.
The Giants got one back in the fifth on Torres' first homer of the season, a solo shot to center, and tied the game in the sixth as a wild pitch from Paco Rodriguez scored Posey.
A fielder's choice groundout from Carl Crawford in the seventh again put the Dodgers on top, 9-8, as Gordon, who had walked, moved to second on a sac bunt and stole third, crossed the plate.
However, the Giants tied the contest at 9-9 in the seventh as Francisco Peguero doubled to start the inning off of Ronald Belisario, moved to third on a Scutaro groundout and came home thanks to a sac fly from Sandoval.
The Giants loaded the bases with one out in the ninth, but Posey hit into a 4-3 double play to end the frame and send it to extra innings.
Each team had 15 hits in the game ...Los Angeles went 6-for-13 with runners in scoring position and left 11 on base, while San Fran batted just 5-for-17 with RISP and left 13 ... The Giants have won four of the five games against the Dodgers this season.
- LOS ANGELES: 9
SAN FRANCISCO: 10
May 5 1:23 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Guillermo Quiroz one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left to end the game.
Dodgers 9, Giants 10 Bot 10, 1 OutMay 5 1:19 AM
- Pablo Sandoval sacrifice fly out to right scored Francisco Peguero with one out. Runner on first and Buster Posey due up.
Dodgers 9, Giants 9 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 5 12:13 AM
- Carl Crawford reached first on a fielder's choice attempt that scored Dee Gordon with one out. Runner on first and Luis Cruz due up.
Dodgers 9, Giants 8 Top 7, 1 OutMay 5 12:02 AM
- Joaquin Arias advanced to second, Hunter Pence advanced to third and Buster Posey scored on a Paco Rodriguez wild pitch with two out. Runners on second and third and Andres Torres at the plate.
Dodgers 8, Giants 8 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 4 11:51 PM
- Andres Torres one-out, solo Home Run (1) to center. Angel Pagan due up.
Dodgers 8, Giants 7 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 4 11:19 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Nick Punto double to right scored Dee Gordon with two out. Runner on second and Carl Crawford due up.
Dodgers 8, Giants 6 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 4 11:05 PM
- Dee Gordon triple to center scored Skip Schumaker and Juan Uribe with two out. Runner on third and Nick Punto due up.
Dodgers 7, Giants 6 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 4 11:04 PM
- Juan Uribe single to left scored A.J. Ellis with two out. On the play, Skip Schumaker advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Dee Gordon due up.
Dodgers 5, Giants 6 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 4 11:00 PM
- Skip Schumaker single to left scored Matt Kemp with two out. On the play, A.J. Ellis advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Juan Uribe due up.
Dodgers 4, Giants 6 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 4 10:59 PM
- Matt Kemp single to center scored Carl Crawford and Jerry Hairston with one out. Runner on first and Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 3, Giants 6 Top 5, 1 OutMay 4 10:53 PM
- Gregor Blanco reached first on a fielder's choice to short that scored Pablo Sandoval with two out. Hunter Pence out at second. Runner on first and Brandon Crawford due up.
Dodgers 1, Giants 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 4 10:41 PM
- A.J. Ellis one-out, solo Home Run (2) to center. Skip Schumaker due up.
Dodgers 1, Giants 5 Top 4, 1 OutMay 4 10:29 PM
- Gregor Blanco sacrifice fly out to left scored Pablo Sandoval with two out. Runners on first and second and Brandon Crawford due up.
Dodgers 0, Giants 5 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 4 10:02 PM
- Pablo Sandoval advanced to second as Marco Scutaro scored on Matt Magill's wild pitch with one out. Runner on second and Buster Posey at the plate.
Dodgers 0, Giants 4 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 4 9:55 PM
- Gregor Blanco single to short scored Pablo Sandoval with one out. Runners on first and second and Brandon Crawford due up.
Dodgers 0, Giants 3 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 4 9:27 PM
- Buster Posey ground-rule double to left center scored Angel Pagan and Marco Scutaro with none out. On the play, Pablo Sandoval advanced to third. Runners on second and third and Hunter Pence due up.
Dodgers 0, Giants 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 4 9:24 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 4 9:05 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22