Padres take series with ArizonaMay 6, 2013 - 1:22 AM
"Jedd's a very instinctual player, a very good competitor," Padres manager Bud Black said.
Volquez (3-3) scattered four hits and surrendered just one run over 6 2/3 innings of work. Over his last four starts, the right-hander has given up just seven runs in 25 1/3 frames.
Will Venable hit a solo homer, while Chase Headley and Yonder Alonso drove in one run apiece for the Padres, winners in three of their last four games.
Didi Gregorius had two of Arizona's four hits and produced its only run with a homer. Ian Kennedy (1-3) suffered his first setback at Petco Park, allowing all five runs on five hits and three walks over 5 2/3 innings.
"Ian didn't have his secondary stuff early in the game and they got on his fastball," D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said.
The Diamondbacks have dropped five of their last six and went 0-for-6 with runners in scoring position.
Everth Cabrera doubled to start the home first and Chris Denorfia followed with a walk. Headley then drove a single to center to plate a run and two batters later, Alonso's sacrifice fly gave the Padres a 2-0 lead.
Gregorius turned on offering from Volquez to lead off the third, and his blast stayed just inside the right field foul pole for a home run. Kennedy later came through with a double and Volquez walked two batters in a row to load the bases, but got Eric Chavez to ground out to end the inning.
Volquez stayed out of trouble the rest of his outing, allowing just one walk and a single from there.
With two away in the sixth and Headley on first base after getting hit with a pitch, Gyorko launched a two-run shot over the wall in left to supply the Padres with a three-run cushion.
Kennedy then served up a solo homer to Venable in the following at-bat, and was chased from the game. He came in with a 3-0 record and a 1.13 ERA in four starts at Petco Park.
Three Padres relievers combined for 2 1/3 innings of scoreless work, with Huston Street pitching a 1-2-3 ninth to close out the victory.
The Diamondbacks have homered in a season-high six straight games ... Prior to the contest, the Padres activated pitcher Tyson Ross off the 15-day disabled list and placed pitcher Clayton Richard on the 15-day DL.
- ARIZONA: 1
SAN DIEGO: 5
May 5 7:07 PM
- Will Venable two-out, solo Home Run (3) to right. John Baker due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Padres 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 5 6:18 PM
- Jedd Gyorko two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Chase Headley. Will Venable due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Padres 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 5 6:17 PM
- Didi Gregorius lead-off Home Run (3) to right. Ian Kennedy due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Padres 2 Top 3, 0 OutsMay 5 4:57 PM
- Yonder Alonso sacrifice fly to left scored Chris Denorfia. Runner on first with two out and Jedd Gyorko due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Padres 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 5 4:37 PM
- Chase Headley single to center scored Everth Cabrera. On the play, Chris Denorfia advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Carlos Quentin due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Padres 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 5 4:32 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 5 4:15 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21