Diamondbacks down DodgersMay 7, 2013 - 6:58 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Trevor Cahill tossed seven quality innings and drove in two runs with a triple as the Arizona Diamondbacks sent the Los Angeles Dodgers to a fifth straight loss in a 9-2 decision in the opener of a three-game series.
Cahill (2-3) scattered two runs, six hits and three walks for the Diamondbacks, who had dropped five of six coming in but have won 13 of their last 16 meetings against their NL West rival.
Paul Goldschmidt went 4-for-5 with a home run and three RBI and Cody Ross added a solo shot for an Arizona offense that pounded out 15 hits.
"There were a lot of good at-bats tonight." Goldschmidt said.
Chris Capuano (0-2) was reinstated from the disabled list Monday and was shelled for six runs -- five earned -- in his second start of the season. The veteran lasted just four-plus innings and allowed eight hits and two walks.
"You're really excited to get back out there and compete. That's the reward for all the hard work you put in. So it's very frustrating when it doesn't go your way," Capuano said.
Carl Crawford hit a solo homer for the Dodgers but also had a pair of defensive mishaps that led to big innings for the opposition.
Matt Kemp's sacrifice fly in the first inning staked Los Angeles to an early lead, but the wheels came off from there.
With two on and two out in the second, Cahill hit a sinking line drive to left field that bounced over the glove of a diving Crawford and rolled all the way to the wall. Gerardo Parra and Josh Wilson both scored on what was ruled a triple, and A.J. Pollock added an RBI double to center for a 3-1 Arizona lead.
Crawford led off the third with his fifth home run of the season, but he dropped a routine fly ball hit off the bat of Didi Gregorius to start the fifth. Four pitches later, Goldschmidt launched one over the wall in straightaway center, and Ross followed with a tape-measure shot halfway up the left-field bleachers for his first home run as a member of the Diamondbacks.
After Matt Reynolds tossed a scoreless bottom of the eighth, Arizona tacked on three runs in the ninth off Javy Guerra via RBI singles by Goldschmidt, Parra and Miguel Montero.
Goldschmidt is 12-for-15 (.800) with three homers and nine RBI in his career against Capuano after going 3-for-3 against the lefty on Monday ... Cahill's triple was the first extra-base hit of his career ... Cahill improved to 5-0 with a 2.10 ERA in eight career starts against the Dodgers ... Reynolds has made 20 consecutive scoreless appearances ... Capuano had been on the DL since April 17 with a left calf strain ... The Dodgers placed infielder Mark Ellis on the 15-day disabled list Monday because of a strained right quadriceps.
- ARIZONA: 9
LOS ANGELES: 2
May 7 1:12 AM
- Gerardo Parra single to center scored Cody Ross. On the play, Miguel Montero advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Josh Wilson due up.
Diamondbacks 9, Dodgers 2 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 7 1:05 AM
- Miguel Montero single to right scored Didi Gregorius. On the play, Cody Ross advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Martin Prado due up.
Diamondbacks 8, Dodgers 2 Top 9, 1 OutMay 7 1:01 AM
- Paul Goldschmidt single to left scored A.J. Pollock. On the play, Didi Gregorius advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Cody Ross due up.
Diamondbacks 7, Dodgers 2 Top 9, 0 OutsMay 7 12:57 AM
- Cody Ross none-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Miguel Montero due up.
Diamondbacks 6, Dodgers 2 Top 5, 0 OutsMay 6 11:42 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt none-out, two-run Home Run (6) to center scored Didi Gregorius. Cody Ross due up.
Diamondbacks 5, Dodgers 2 Top 5, 0 OutsMay 6 11:40 PM
- Carl Crawford lead-off Home Run (5) to right. Nick Punto due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Dodgers 2 Bot 3, 0 OutsMay 6 11:12 PM
- A.J. Pollock double to center scored Trevor Cahill. Runner on second with two outs and Didi Gregorius due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Dodgers 1 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 6 10:48 PM
- Trevor Cahill triple to left scored Gerardo Parra and Josh Wilson. Runner on third with two outs and A.J. Pollock due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Dodgers 1 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 6 10:46 PM
- Matt Kemp sacrifice fly to right scored Nick Punto. Runner on first with two outs and Andre Ethier due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Dodgers 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 6 10:27 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 6 10:13 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21