Rangers split series in MilwaukeeMay 9, 2013 - 4:04 AM
Derek Holland (3-2) allowed just one run on 10 hits over seven innings for the Rangers, who evened the series and have won four of their last six games. Joe Nathan notched his ninth save with a scoreless ninth.
"Derek did what he had to do," said Rangers manager Ron Washington. "His changeup has been big, he added it to his repertoire. He scattered the hits well and made pitches when he needed to."
Carlos Gomez was a perfect 4-for-4 with a double and a triple and Aramis Ramirez drove in the lone run for the Brewers, who saw starter Kyle Lohse (1-4) give up four runs on nine hits and two walks in 6 1/3 innings.
"I made some mistakes and I put my team in a hole," said Lohse. "I got to give our team a chance to come back. For the most part, I executed well, but got hurt by a couple of missed plays and pitches."
The Rangers scored one run in each of the first three innings. Lohse gave up three straight singles in the first, with Beltre's scoring Kinsler. Kinsler followed that with a two-out homer in the second, with Moreland's solo shot coming with two outs in the third.
The Brewers finally got on the board in the sixth. Ryan Braun tripled to lead off the inning and Ramirez ripped a double to right to score him. However, Ramirez was gunned down trying to reach third. Two batters later, Gomez also knocked a triple, but Rickie Weeks grounded out to end the inning to the displeasure of Brewers fans.
Texas added an insurance run in the seventh, when Moreland singled with two outs to plate Elvis Andrus.
Nathan came in the ninth for the Rangers. He allowed a leadoff double by Gomez, who advanced to third on a wild pitch, but forced three straight outs to end the game.
Gomez leads the majors with a .386 batting average ... Braun has a 30-game interleague hitting streak, which ranks third all-time ... Lohse entered the game 3-3 with a 7.16 ERA in nine starts against the Rangers, but last faced them in 2006 ... The Rangers have yet to lose three straight games this season.
- TEXAS: 4
May 8 11:06 PM
- Mitch Moreland single to center scored Elvis Andrus. On the play, Adrian Beltre advances to third. Runners on first and third with two out and Geovany Soto due up.
Rangers 4, Brewers 1 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 8 10:16 PM
- Aramis Ramirez double to center scored Ryan Braun. Runner on second with none out and Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Rangers 3, Brewers 1 Bot 6, 0 OutsMay 8 9:54 PM
- Mitch Moreland two-out, solo Home Run (6) to right. Geovany Soto due up.
Rangers 3, Brewers 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 8 8:53 PM
- Ian Kinsler two-out, solo Home Run (7) to left. Elvis Andrus due up.
Rangers 2, Brewers 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 8 8:37 PM
- Adrian Beltre single to left scored Ian Kinsler. On the play, Elvis Andrus advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Nelson Cruz due up.
Rangers 1, Brewers 0 Top 1, 0 OutsMay 8 8:17 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 8 8:10 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22