Yankees score late to nip RockiesMay 9, 2013 - 6:00 AM
With the game tied 2-2, New York loaded the bases against Colorado reliever Rafael Betancourt (1-1) when Vernon Wells smacked a leadoff single before Lyle Overbay and Jayson Nix each walked around Ichiro Suzuki's bunt.
Betancourt bounced back by fanning pinch-hitter Travis Hafner before Boesch slapped a grounder to third that Nolan Arenado made a diving stop on.
Arenado quickly got to his feet and fired to first, but Boesch beat the throw by a step, allowing Wells to score the deciding run.
"Sometimes my speed is kind of underestimated as a bigger guy," Boesch said of his infield hit. "I think (Arenado) thought he had more time."
Mariano Rivera worked around a two-out single in the bottom half to secure his 12th save of the season, while David Robertson (2-0) earned the victory with a scoreless eighth.
Wells collected three hits, including a two-run homer in the first, to help the Yankees snap a two-game skid.
Todd Helton hit a two-run blast to account for both runs for the Rockies, who lost for the third time in their last five games.
"We need to score some more runs," Helton admitted. "You have to tip your cap sometimes to their pitchers too."
After being blanked in Tuesday's opener, the Yankees broke through in their first at bat Wednesday, as Brett Gardner smacked a leadoff single and Wells followed two batters later with a blast over the left-field wall.
Colorado countered with a long ball of its own in the second when Wilin Rosario ripped a one-out double before Helton scorched a fastball into the seats in right field to knot the game at 2-2.
New York starter David Phelps allowed two runs on three hits and a walk with four strikeouts over six innings ... Juan Nicasio made the start for Colorado and struck out five while yielding two runs on two hits over five frames ... Wells, who had never played the infield over his 15-year career, took over at third base for the bottom of the ninth inning ... New York went 2-for-8 with runners in scoring position and left five on base.
- NEW YORK: 3
May 8 11:36 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Brennan Boesch singled to third scored Vernon Wells with two outs. Lyle Overbay advances to third On the play, Jayson Nix was tagged out in between second and third to end the inning.
Yankees 3, Rockies 2 Mid 9May 8 11:28 PM
- Todd Helton one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to right scored Wilin Rosario. Nolan Arenado due up.
Yankees 2, Rockies 2 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 8 9:17 PM
- Vernon Wells one-out, two-run Home Run (7) to left scored Brett Gardner. Lyle Overbay due up.
Yankees 2, Rockies 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 8 8:52 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 8 8:42 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21