Rizzo, Cubs cruise past NatsMay 12, 2013 - 1:34 AM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - Anthony Rizzo had three hits and two RBI to help the Chicago Cubs take an 8-2 win over the Washington Nationals in the second of a three-game set.
David DeJesus drove in two runs while Welington Castillo scored twice for the Cubs, who had lost six of eight coming into the game.
Edwin Jackson (1-5) benefited from the run support to get his first win of the year, giving up two runs on four hits with a pair of walks and three strikeouts over 5 1/3 innings. He also added a two-run double in the win.
"The difference in the whole ball game was Jackson," said Chicago manager Dale Sveum. "His hit got our scoring started, and he shut them down at the plate today. He had an outstanding game."
Ian Desmond went 3-for-4 with a solo home run and two RBI for the Nationals, who had a five-game winning streak stopped. Stephen Strasburg (1-5) dropped his fifth straight decision as he gave up four unearned runs on five hits with two walks and seven strikeouts in just five innings.
"It's all going to change and it's still early enough in the season for things to turn around," said Strasburg. "All I can do is my best and try to have as strong of control as I'm capable of out there."
Neither side got on the board through the first four innings, but the Cubs plated four runs in the fifth, all with two outs. After Luis Valbuena was nailed at third going for a triple, Castillo reached base on a bad throw by Ryan Zimmerman. After Darwin Barney walked, Jackson plated both runners with a double to center. A bases-loaded single from Rizzo scored two more for a 4-0 lead.
Desmond got the Nats on the board in the fifth with his sixth home of the season, a blast to left center, but the Cubs produced four more runs in the sixth.
WIth Zach Duke on the mound. Alfonso Soriano led off with a double, moved to third on a Nate Schierholtz single and scored on a wild pitch. Cody Ransom followed with a double to score one more run, and DeJesus hit a two-run single later in the inning for an 8-1 lead.
Desmond's RBI single to left in the bottom of the sixth made it an 8-2 game, but the Nationals had just one man reach base over the final three frames.
The Nationals placed outfielder Jayson Werth on the 15-day disabled list with a right hamstring strain on Saturday. The team recalled pitcher Eury Perez from Triple-A Syracuse to take Werth's roster spot ... The Nationals had won five straight against Chicago coming in ... Chicago batted 6-for-12 with runners in scoring position.
- CHICAGO: 8
May 11 7:15 PM
- Ian Desmond single to left scored Roger Bernadina with one out. On the play, Adam LaRoche advances to second and Ryan Zimmerman advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Danny Espinosa due up.
Cubs 8, Nationals 2 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 11 6:21 PM
- David DeJesus single to center scored Cody Ransom and Welington Castillo with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Starlin Castro due up.
Cubs 8, Nationals 1 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 11 5:57 PM
- Cody Ransom double to left scored Nate Schierholtz with none out. Runner on second with none out and Welington Castillo due up.
Cubs 6, Nationals 1 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 11 5:50 PM
- Zach Duke wild pitch scored Alfonso Soriano with none out. Nate Schierholtz advances to second on a wild pitch. Runner on second with none out and Cody Ransom at the plate.
Cubs 5, Nationals 1 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 11 5:49 PM
- Ian Desmond lead-off Home Run (6) to left center. Danny Espinosa due up.
Cubs 4, Nationals 1 Bot 5, 0 OutsMay 11 5:36 PM
- Anthony Rizzo single to center scored Edwin Jackson and David DeJesus with two out. On the play, Starlin Castro advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Cubs 4, Nationals 0 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 11 5:31 PM
- Edwin Jackson double to center scored Welington Castillo and Darwin Barney with two out. Runner on second with two outs and David DeJesus due up.
Cubs 2, Nationals 0 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 11 5:24 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 11 4:08 PM
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21