Dodgers end 8-game skid, topple MarlinsMay 12, 2013 - 4:50 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Skip Schumaker collected a pair of hits and drove in three runs, as Los Angeles took down Miami, 7-1, in the second of three between the clubs from Dodger Stadium.
Juan Uribe added two RBI, while Andre Ethier finished 4-for-4 with two doubles and scored three times for the Dodgers, who finally put the brakes on a season-worst eight-game skid. Dee Gordon added a third-inning solo shot.
Hyun-Jin Ryu (4-2) allowed five hits and one run, walking three with as many strikeouts over his 6 2/3-inning outing.
"He was really good tonight. He set the tone, putting up all those zeroes," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said of his startet. "It's been a battle for us, but it's win and hopefully this will start us in the right direction."
Miguel Olivo's seventh-inning homer was all the offense for the Marlins, who stumbled to their fourth loss in five games.
Kevin Slowey (1-3) was dented in defeat for 11 hits and five runs over 4 2/3 frames.
"Kevin was battling from the start. He tried to keep us in the game, but nothing was easy for him tonight," noted Marlins manager Mike Redmond. "Other than Miguel's home run, we were pretty quiet."
Olivo led off the seventh with his third homer of the season which made it 5-1, then after a two-out single from pinch-hitter Chris Coghlan, Ryu was pulled for Paco Rodriguez, who induced an inning-ending line out from Adeiny Hechevarria.
In the home half, Uribe's infield hit plated Ethier and Olivo's passed ball with Nick Punto at the plate brought in Schumaker for a 7-1 contest.
Matt Guerrier tossed a scoreless eighth and Javy Guerra followed suit in the ninth to wrap up the victory.
Ethier began the home second with a double and was sacrificed to third by A.J. Ellis, before coming in on a Schumaker base hit.
Gordon started the third with a homer, and later in the frame, with the bases loaded and one out, Schumaker's fielder's choice plated LA's third run of the contest.
"It felt good, but I didn't know right away if it was going out, so I ran hard," Gordon said of his first homer in more than a year. "It was good to get this eight (game losing skid) off our backs."
In the fifth, Ethier, Ellis and Schumaker all singled with one out to make it 4-0, then Uribe's fly to left brought in Ellis for a five-run spread.
Gordon's homer was his first since May 1, 2012 ... Ethier's second-inning double was his first extra-base hit in 30 at-bats, while he also posted his first four-hit game since Aug. 25, 2012 ... On this date in 1996, Al Leiter beat the Rockies, 11-0, tossing the Marlins' first-ever no-hitter ... Prior to the game, the Marlins announced that Tom Koehler will start Sunday's series finale in place of Wade LeBlanc.
- MIAMI: 1
LOS ANGELES: 7
May 12 12:09 AM
- Miguel Olivo passed ball scored Skip Schumaker, Juan Uribe advances to second. Runner on second with one out and Nick Punto at the plate.
Marlins 1, Dodgers 7 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 11 11:42 PM
- Juan Uribe singled off shortstop into to center scored Andre Ethier. On the play, Skip Schumaker advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Paco Rodriguez due up.
Marlins 1, Dodgers 6 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 11 11:39 PM
- Miguel Olivo lead-off Home Run (3) to left. Greg Dobbs due up.
Marlins 1, Dodgers 5 Top 7, 0 OutsMay 11 11:20 PM
- Juan Uribe sacrifice fly to left scored A.J. Ellis. Runner on first with two outs and Hyun-Jin Ryu due up.
Marlins 0, Dodgers 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 11 10:53 PM
- Skip Schumaker singled to center scored Andre Ethier. On the play, A.J. Ellis advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Juan Uribe due up.
Marlins 0, Dodgers 4 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 11 10:50 PM
- Skip Schumaker grounded into a fielder's choice, left to third scored Adrian Gonzalez. On the play, A.J. Ellis advances to second and Andre Ethier out at third. Runners on first and second with two outs and Juan Uribe due up.
Marlins 0, Dodgers 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 11 10:01 PM
- Dee Gordon lead-off Home Run (1) to right center. Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Marlins 0, Dodgers 2 Bot 3, 0 OutsMay 11 9:51 PM
- Skip Schumaker singled to right scored Andre Ethier. Runner on first with one out and Juan Uribe due up.
Marlins 0, Dodgers 1 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 11 9:37 PM
- MIAMI: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 11 9:12 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22