Choo hits 2 HRs, carries Reds over MarlinsMay 16, 2013 - 4:06 AM Miami, FL (Sports Network) - Shin-Soo Choo went 4-for-5 with a pair of solo homers and three runs scored, and Mike Leake spun 6 2/3 stellar frames to lead the Cincinnati Reds to a 4-0 shutout over the Miami Marlins in the second tilt of a three-game set.
Leake (3-2) fanned six and scattered nine hits with one walk, while Joey Votto and Brandon Phillips each added two hits and an RBI for the Reds, who have won a season-high five straight games.
Alex Sanabia (2-6) was tagged for all four runs on nine hits and three walks over six innings to absorb his fifth straight loss.
Derek Dietrich, Rob Brantly and Greg Dobbs collected two hits apiece for the Marlins, who finished 1-for-10 with runners in scoring position and stranded 12 men on base in dropping their fourth straight contest.
"We got guys on base, but you've got to keep grinding," Dietrich said. "We just didn't get the hit when we needed to."
Choo got the Reds going early, as he led off the game with a single before Cesar Izturis worked a walk.
After Votto flied out, Phillips belted a double off the wall in left-center field that was just over the glove of Juan Pierre, allowing Choo to score easily from second.
Cincinnati tacked on two more in the fourth, as Choo launched a one-out blast over the wall in left-center to make it 2-0. Izturis followed with a double to left and came around to score on Votto's single to left.
Choo launched his second homer of the night in the sixth, a two-out shot into the home team's bullpen.
"This ballpark is big," Choo said. "Some balls fly, some don't. I'm not thinking about hitting homers. I'm just swinging hard."
It was the ninth multi-homer game of Choo's career ... The victory was Reds manager Dusty Baker's 443rd in Cincinnati, tying him for fourth place on the club's all-time list with Reds Hall of Famer Fred Hutchinson ... Since earning his big league call-up on May 8, Dietrich has recorded at least one hit in each of his five starts.
- CINCINNATI: 4
May 15 10:10 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo two-out, solo Home Run 2 (9) to right center. Cesar Izturis due up.
Reds 4, Marlins 0 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 15 8:52 PM
- Joey Votto single to left center scored Cesar Izturis with one out. Runner on first and Brandon Phillips due up.
Reds 3, Marlins 0 Top 4, 1 OutMay 15 8:20 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo one-out, solo Home Run (8) to left center. Cesar Izturis due up.
Reds 2, Marlins 0 Top 4, 1 OutMay 15 8:15 PM
- Brandon Phillips double to left scored Shin-Soo Choo with one out. On the play, Cesar Izturis advances to third. Runners on second and third and Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 1, Marlins 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 15 7:18 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 15 7:11 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21