Mets end skid, defeat Cards to salvage four-game setMay 16, 2013 - 9:06 PM St. Louis, MO (Sports Network) - Wildly streaky from week to week, Daniel Murphy is on the right side of the ledger again.
Murphy had a pair of doubles among his four hits to go with two runs scored and an RBI in the New York Mets' 5-2 win over the St. Louis Cardinals to avoid a sweep in the finale of a four-game set.
After a terrific start to the year, Murphy fell into an 0-for-17 slide, but has responded by going 10-of-16 since with four doubles.
"When he gets it going, he can be very dangerous," Mets manager Terry Collins said of Murphy.
Murphy had an unusual ground-rule double in the sixth when he scalded an Adam Wainwright offering that stuck into a gap between the two conjoining walls in the right field corner.
David Wright registered two hits, two RBI and a run scored, while Jonathon Niese (3-4) surrendered two runs on six hits and two walks over 7 1/3 frames for the Mets, who snapped a six-game losing skid.
Bobby Parnell notched his fourth save after working around a two-out single in the ninth.
Wainwright (5-3) took a no-hitter into the eighth in his last start, but quickly allowed a one-out single to Murphy in the first. He fanned eight, but allowed four runs -- three earned -- on six hits and a walk over six innings for St. Louis, which had won six of its last seven tilts coming in.
"He was fighting from the beginning," Cardinals manager Mike Matheny said of Wainwright. "He was pretty good, but you could see he was laboring."
Pete Kozma's RBI double got the Cardinals on the board in the second, but the Mets countered by plating a pair in each of the third and sixth frames and added another in the eighth to surge ahead.
Jordany Valdespin ignited a two-out rally in the third with a bunt single and Murphy drove him in when he laced a double into the right field corner. Murphy advanced to third on the relay throw to the plate and scored on Wright's single to right.
Murphy led off the sixth with a double and Wright brought him home when he ripped a two-bagger into the gap in right center. Wright scurried to third on the play after the center fielder Shane Robinson one-hopped his throw past the cutoff man. He crossed the plate on Lucas Duda's sacrifice fly to center two batters later.
John Buck's RBI single up the middle made it 5-1 in the eighth.
Carlos Beltran's run-scoring single cut the deficit to 5-2 in the home half, but with runners on first and second with one away, Brandon Lyon induced Allen Craig into an inning-ending 5-4-3 double play.
Niese moved to 3-1 in his career against the Cardinals ... Murphy has 13 doubles on the year ... The Mets were 4-for-10 with runners in scoring position ... New York's Ike Davis went 0-for-5 with four strikeouts.
- NEW YORK: 5
ST. LOUIS: 2
May 16 4:40 PM
- Carlos Beltran single to left scored Matt Carpenter. On the play, Shane Robinson advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Allen Craig due up.
Mets 5, Cardinals 2 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 16 4:16 PM
- John Buck single to center scored Lucas Duda. Runner on first with one out and Rick Ankiel due up.
Mets 5, Cardinals 1 Top 8, 1 OutMay 16 3:59 PM
- Lucas Duda sacrifice fly to center scored David Wright. None on with two outs and John Buck due up.
Mets 4, Cardinals 1 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 16 3:25 PM
- David Wright double to right scored Daniel Murphy. On the play, David Wright advances to third on Shane Robinson's throwing error. Runner on third with none out and Ike Davis due up.
Mets 3, Cardinals 1 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 16 3:21 PM
- David Wright single to right scored Daniel Murphy. On the play, David Wright advances to second on Carlos Beltran's fielding error. Runner on second with two outs and Ike Davis due up.
Mets 2, Cardinals 1 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 16 2:29 PM
- Daniel Murphy double to right scored Jordany Valdespin. On the play, Daniel Murphy advanced to third on the throw. Runner on third with two outs and David Wright due up.
Mets 1, Cardinals 1 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 16 2:28 PM
- Pete Kozma double to center scored Yadier Molina. Runner on second with two outs and Adam Wainwright due up.
Mets 0, Cardinals 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 16 2:17 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 16 1:47 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21