Feldman shines as Cubs rout MetsMay 18, 2013 - 11:47 PM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - Scott Feldman pitched into the seventh inning and contributed two RBI as Chicago took an 8-2 win over the New York Mets in the second of three from Wrigley Field on Saturday.
Feldman (4-3) scattered seven hits and a walk over 6 2/3 innings to win his fourth straight decision and added a two-run double in the fourth inning to help the Cubs win for a fifth time in seven games.
"He's not letting left-handers beat him and his cutter has been incredible," said Chicago manager Dale Sveum about Feldman. "He's able to bounce his curveball when he has to and throw it for a strike. Everything is working for him."
Nate Schierholtz and Anthony Rizzo each gave a solo home run in the win for Chicago.
Jeremy Hefner (0-5) gave up four runs on five hits in just four innings of work for the Mets, who had won their previous two after dropping six straight.
"I want to win and I want the team to win," said Hefner. "Obviously we didn't do that today and I need to make some adjustments out there to get back on track."
The Cubs had stranded runners on first and third with one out in the second, but finally broke through in the fourth.
Rizzo singled to right to leadoff and Alfonso Soriano was hit by a pitch. After Schierholtz singled to load the bases, Luis Valbuena brought home the first run with a sacrifice fly and Welington Castillo followed with an RBI single. Two batters later, Feldman doubled to right for a 4-0 lead.
Rizzo homered off of Robert Carson to start the fifth and Schierholtz gave a leadoff blast in the eighth. Later in the eighth, David DeJesus dropped a bloop single into right to chase in two more runners for an 8-0 lead.
The Mets had men on second and third in both the first and second innings, but Feldman was able to get out of the jams without any damage.
With one on and two out in the seventh, Feldman stepped off the mound for James Russell, who got Mike Baxter to hit into a fielder's choice to end the frame.
Russell then tossed a 1-2-3 eighth inning, but Hector Rondon allowed a two-run home run to Rick Ankiel in the ninth to spoil Chicago's attempt at its first shutout of the season.
Ankiel and Daniel Murphy each had two hits for the Mets ... Dillon Gee takes the mound for New York in the finale on Sunday and will be opposed by Travis Wood for Chicago ... The Mets were 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position and stranded seven, while Chicago was 4-for-9 with RISP.
- NEW YORK: 2
May 18 3:59 PM
- Rick Ankiel one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to right scored John Buck. Ruben Tejada due up.
Mets 2, Cubs 8 Top 9, 1 OutMay 18 3:57 PM
- David DeJesus singled to right scoring Darwin Barney and Ryan Sweeney with two out. Runner on first and Starlin Castro due up.
Mets 0, Cubs 8 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 18 3:49 PM
- Nate Schierholtz lead-off Home Run (5) to right. Luis Valbuena due up.
Mets 0, Cubs 6 Bot 8, 0 OutsMay 18 3:39 PM
- Anthony Rizzo lead-off Home Run (10) to right. Alfonso Soriano due up.
Mets 0, Cubs 5 Bot 5, 0 OutsMay 18 2:53 PM
- Scott Feldman doubled to right scoring Nate Schierholtz and Welington Castillo with two out. Runner on second and David DeJesus due up.
Mets 0, Cubs 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 18 2:31 PM
- Welington Castillo singled to left scoring Alfonso Soriano with one out. On the play, Nate Schierholtz advances to second. Runners on first and second with Darwin Barney due up.
Mets 0, Cubs 2 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 18 2:27 PM
- Luis Valbuena sacrifice fly to right scored Anthony Rizzo with one out. On the play, Alfonso Soriano advances to third. Runners on first and third with Welington Castillo due up.
Mets 0, Cubs 1 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 18 2:25 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 18 1:07 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21