Brewers top Cardinals in 10 inningsMay 19, 2013 - 6:00 AM St. Louis, MO (Sports Network) - Jeff Bianchi's two-run single in the 10th inning led the Milwaukee Brewers to a 6-4 win over the St. Louis Cardinals in the second of a three-game set.
Ryan Braun started the 10th with a single through the middle off Joe Kelly (0-2) and moved to third when Aramis Ramirez dropped a bloop single into right. After Jonathan Lucroy grounded out, Carlos Gomez was issued a free pass to load the bases. Pinch-hitter Logan Schafer hit into a 6-2 fielder's choice that saw Braun forced out at home, but Bianchi followed with a single up the middle for a 6-4 advantage.
"You get a guy at third base with no out, all of a sudden the next two guys make outs," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said. "And we get a big hit."
Jim Henderson set the Cardinals down in order in the bottom of the 10th to pick up his eighth save of the season.
Jean Segura and Braun each had three hits and two RBI while Ramirez added three hits and a run scored for the Brewers, who had dropped eight of nine. John Axford (1-3) pitched 1 1/3 innings to get the win.
Matt Carpenter drove in two while Jon Jay and Pete Kozma each had an RBI for the Cardinals, who had won four of five coming into Saturday's game.
Both starters failed to make it past the sixth inning, as Lance Lynn was touched for four runs on eight hits with two walks in five innings for St. Louis, while Marco Estrada gave up four runs on seven hits in 5 2/3 innings for Milwaukee.
St. Louis went on top in the second inning with Kozma getting the scoring started on a single to plate Allen Craig. After Lynn walked to load the bases, Carpenter drew a walk to force in David Freese for a 2-0 lead.
The Brewers, though, took the lead in the third as Segura tripled to center with two runners on then came home when Braun followed with a single for a 3-2 advantage.
In the fifth, Milwaukee padded its lead as Norichika Aoki drew a one-out walk, Segura followed with a single and Braun's base hit to right plated Aoki for a 4-2 lead.
The Cardinals put two across in the sixth to tie the game. With two outs, Kozma kept the inning alive with a single and Ty Wigginton followed with a pinch-hit single. Carpenter chased home one runner with a base hit, leading to Michael Gonzalez coming out to relieve Estrada.
Jay greeted Gonzalez with a single to left, scoring Wigginton to tie the game at 4-4. Burke Badenhop then took the mound and struck out Matt Holliday to end the inning.
"We did a real nice job of coming back to begin with," Cardinals manager Mike Matheny said.
Milwaukee wasted a bases-loaded chance in the eighth before the Cardinals filled the bases with two outs in the ninth, but Axford struck out pinch- hitter Daniel Descalso to send the game to extras.
John Gast takes the mound for St. Louis in the finale on Sunday, while Kyle Lohse will toe the rubber for Milwaukee ... St. Louis went just 3-for-11 with runners in scoring position and stranded 11 ... The Cardinals still lead the season series with the Brewers, 7-2, including a four-game sweep in Milwaukee in early May ... On Saturday, St. Louis Cardinals placed pitcher Jaime Garcia on the 15-day disabled list with a left shoulder strain, and recalled pitcher Mitchell Boggs from Triple-A Memphis.
- MILWAUKEE: 6
ST. LOUIS: 4
May 18 11:05 PM
- Jeff Bianchi single to center scored Aramis Ramirez and Carlos Gomez with two out. On the play, Logan Schafer advances to third. Runners on first and third and Alex Gonzalez due up.
Brewers 6, Cardinals 4 Top 10, 2 OutsMay 18 10:55 PM
- Jon Jay single to left scored Ty Wigginton with two out. On the play, Matt Carpenter advances to second. Runners on first and second and Matt Holliday due up.
Brewers 4, Cardinals 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 18 9:28 PM
- Matt Carpenter single to center scored Pete Kozma with two out. On the play, Ty Wigginton advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jon Jay due up.
Brewers 4, Cardinals 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 18 9:23 PM
- Ryan Braun single to right scored Norichika Aoki with one out. On the play, Jean Segura advances to third. Runners on first and third and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Brewers 4, Cardinals 2 Top 5, 1 OutMay 18 8:54 PM
- Ryan Braun single to right scored Jean Segura with two out. Runner on first and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Brewers 3, Cardinals 2 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 18 8:13 PM
- Jean Segura triple to center scored Jeff Bianchi and Norichika Aoki with two out. Runner on third and Ryan Braun due up.
Brewers 2, Cardinals 2 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 18 8:12 PM
- Matt Carpenter bases loaded walk scored David Freese with two out. Bases loaded and Jon Jay due up.
Brewers 0, Cardinals 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 18 7:58 PM
- Pete Kozma single to center scored Allen Craig with two out. On the play, David Freese advances to second. Runners on first and second and Lance Lynn due up.
Brewers 0, Cardinals 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 18 7:52 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 18 7:16 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21