McCutchen helps Pirates sweep CubsMay 23, 2013 - 11:46 PM Pittsburgh, PA (Sports Network) - Andrew McCutchen had three hits, knocked in two runs and swiped two bags as the Pittsburgh Pirates finished off a three- game sweep of the Chicago Cubs with a 4-2 victory Thursday at PNC Park.
The Pirates, winners of four straight and 11 of their last 13 overall, pounced on Edwin Jackson (1-7) in the first two innings before a 1-hour, 47-minute rain delay suspended the contest in the fourth.
Starling Marte collected a pair of hits, scored twice and stole a base while Vin Mazzaro (3-0) pitched 2 1/3 scoreless innings in relief of Jeanmar Gomez to pick up the win.
Travis Snider and Michael McKenry each knocked in a run and Jason Grilli shut the door in the ninth by converting his 19th straight save opportunity.
"We're playing solid baseball right now, finding ways to get it done," said Pirates shortstop Clint Barmes.
Jackson was removed after the rain delay and was charged with all four runs.
"There wasn't a whole lot of life coming out of (Jackson's) arm today," said Cubs manager Dale Sveum.
Anthony Rizzo and Ryan Sweeney provided an RBI apiece in Chicago's fourth straight loss.
Rizzo produced a run with a groundout just before the delay, and when play resumed, Chicago had runners on the corners with two out and were facing Pirates reliever Mazzaro.
Welington Castillo hit a chopper into the hole at third, but Pedro Alvarez made a diving stop and fired to first to end the threat.
The Cubs scored another run in the seventh on Sweeney's two-out blooper over Neil Walker at second, but again stranded runners at first and third when McCutchen made a sliding catch on a shallow fly ball from David DeJesus.
The Pirates' offense couldn't produce a run against the Cubs relief pitching, but got going early off Jackson. After a single and a stolen base from Marte, McCutchen ripped a first pitch breaking ball into left field to plate Pittsburgh's first run.
McCutchen then swiped a bag and came around to score when McKenry drove a base hit into left to create a 2-0 lead.
Pittsburgh tacked on two more runs the following inning, with Marte scoring again after Snider drove a fly ball into center for a triple. McCutchen then knocked in his second run with a base hit into center for a 4-0 edge.
Gomez breezed through the first three frames, but struggled in the fourth by giving up a leadoff double to DeJesus and an ensuing single to Starlin Castro. Rizzo then made it 4-1 with his groundout just before the rain delay.
Pittsburgh is 5-0 in games that Gomez starts ... In 62 career games against the Cubs, McCutchen has reached safely in 57 of them ... It was Rizzo's 31st RBI of the season.
- CHICAGO: 2
May 23 5:40 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Ryan Sweeney singled to right scoring Welington Castillo with two out. On the play, Darwin Barney advances to third. Runners on first and third with David DeJesus due up.
Cubs 2, Pirates 4 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 23 4:59 PM
- Anthony Rizzo fielder's choice scored David DeJesus with one out. Starlin Castro out at second. Runner on first and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Cubs 1, Pirates 4 Top 4, 1 OutMay 23 1:53 PM
- Andrew McCutchen singled to center scoring Travis Snider with two out. Runner on first and Garrett Jones due up.
Cubs 0, Pirates 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 23 1:23 PM
- Travis Snider tripled to center scoring Starling Marte with two out. Runner on third and Andrew McCutchen due up.
Cubs 0, Pirates 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 23 1:22 PM
- Michael McKenry singled to left scoring Andrew McCutchen with two out. On the play, Neil Walker advanced to third and McKenry to second on Alfonso Soriano throwing error. Runners on second and third with Pedro Alvarez due up.
Cubs 0, Pirates 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 23 12:58 PM
- Andrew McCutchen singled to left scoring Starling Marte with one out. Runner on first and Garrett Jones due up.
Cubs 0, Pirates 1 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 23 12:51 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 23 12:37 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21